1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MLB Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Since some catchers and pitchers reported today...

HOLY SHIT!!

lakefront, maumann and bigpern23 like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Old man yelling at clouds: One of the Detroit beat writers tweeted that the average exhibition game ticket at Joker Marchant this spring is $54. To see a glorified practice game with a bunch of guys who won't even be in a Detroit uniform in April.

Who the hell has that kind of money to waste? And can I get added to their wills?

Batman, HanSenSE and lakefront like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I know I'm gonna sound like an old man shaking my fist at the world (maybe I am) but I remember going to ST games there, at Winter Haven and at old Tinker Field in Orlando in the late 1960s for about $2 a ticket.

maumann likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Spring Training openers all over the place today.

Jake from State Farm and maumann like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. maumann

Dottie Henson had the scouting report on Sanchez 40 years before he was born: "High fastballs. He can't hit them, he can't lay off of them."

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Need Peter angelos to die ASAP. He and his idiot sons, familiar to trump haters, have fucked with my ability to see the Nationals. Angelos and his dimwitted kids run the worst RSN outside Trumpistan. Show pre-season games, have a Nats talk show, pregame show, postgame show. Cover press conferences. Die Peter.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Keep in mind too, that the first couple of weeks are just seven-inning games, and managers can agree to play just five innings.

Imagine paying $54 a pop for 55.5 percent of a game that doesn’t even count.

Batman likes this.
  9. maumann

The first pitcher gets thrown (at security) in Lakeland. And first ejection as well.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Only ever got to go to one spring training game — a White Sox-Diamondbacks game in Tucson in 1998. Walked up to the stadium a couple hours before the game and got a front row seat on the third base line for, IIRC, $12.
    One of the appeals of making spring training trips has always been that you can see major league games (or quasi-major league games) at minor league prices. Have they steadily crept up along with everything else in the last 20 years? Is this a major increase? Or are they offering a few high-priced special tickets (like all you can eat or drink sections) that raised the average of the other tickets that much?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I remember having a day off between covering games at the state basketball championship in Lakeland (gulp) 20 years ago. Moseyed down to Winter Haven to catch the Indians and Reds, an enjoyable way to spend some time in the sun for a few bucks.

For $54 (plus food and parking)? Screw that. At that point I might as well throw a few more samolians in the pot and head for a theme park.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

In March, it was “caught by a young man from Plant City.”

UPChip likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted