1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor at Sioux City Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zach_James, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

Below is the official Assistant Sports Editor posting from Lee Enterprises. It is important to apply directly through Indeed or through the official company link. No candidates will be considered through email.

The Sioux City Journal, a Lee Enterprises publication, is seeking an energetic Assistant Sports Editor to be part of a two-person sports department for our award-winning newspaper and website. Reporting to the sports editor, this position will have a mix of editing, administrative and writing duties to include:

* Assisting the night sports desk, including editing staff, freelance and wire copy to AP and local style while working with our regional design team to meet print deadlines.
    * Assisting the sports editor with daily tasks, including assigning photos and videos and updating social media feeds.
    * Writing stories, features and columns with a focus on high school and college teams in Northwest Iowa, Northeast Nebraska and Southeast South Dakota.
    This position requires night and weekend availability. A journalism, communications or English degree is required, and previous newspaper experience is preferred. Candidates also should have interest in and familiarity with high school sports.
    The Sioux City Journal offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, paid time off and paid holidays. All applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check. Learn more or apply online at: Job opportunity at local paper, a subsidiary of Lee Enterprises - Assistant Sports Editor or here.

---------------------------

If there are any questions, email me at zjames@siouxcityjournal.com or DM me on Twitter @ZacharyWJames.

Other details

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

This position has been filled. Thank you all for your interest.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Glad to see it was filled.
    But as someone who lived in the region for four years (hello, Ida Grove and Ida County), there's absolutely no way that should be a two-person sports department. I'm sure there are part-timers and free lancers involved, but still, there's more than enough work there for more than two full-timers.

MNgremlin and RonClements like this.
  4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It's a Lee paper ... that should explain why ...

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

That surprised me too.

6. Edward Marlowe

Edward Marlowe New Member

Was this position previously held by Justin Rust? Great dude.

7. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

Yes, it was. Justin left for a managing editor's role at the N'west Iowa REVIEW, and I took over the sports editor's role.

Edward Marlowe likes this.
  8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Two-man staff? OMG. I’m a one-man gang with two dailies.

9. Edward Marlowe

Edward Marlowe New Member

Unfortunately, that's getting to be the normal in some parts. I wish you the best.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I can’t get to nearly enough stories. Just have to prioritize and do what I can with next to no stringer help.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  11. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

This is being re-posted this week. Shane Lantz is leaving The Journal for a gig out on the West Coast. All applicants will again be asked to post through Indeed or the Dayforce site on Lee careers.

12. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

Here's the official, live post: Dayforce

The description is below:

The Sioux City Journal, a Lee Enterprises publication, is seeking an energetic Assistant Sports Editor to be part of a two-person sports department for our award-winning newspaper and website. Reporting to the sports editor, this position will have a mix of editing, administrative and writing duties to include:

· Assisting the night sports desk, including editing staff, freelance and wire copy to AP and local style while working with our regional design team to meet print deadlines.

· Assisting the sports editor with daily tasks, including assigning photos and videos and updating social media feeds. A strong communication with photo staff will be required.

· Writing stories, features and columns with a focus on high school and college teams in Northwest Iowa, Northeast Nebraska and Southeast South Dakota.

· A willingness to be digitally savvy. Every game covered should have at least one video component to it, whether it be a highlight or an interview with an athlete.

· A willingness to be on live video streams and podcasts. Knowledge of audio and video editing is helpful.

· Required to do at least 2-3 desk shifts per week, either with print or E-Edition.

· A commitment to at least two-plus years.

· Being organized and coming with 100% energy on a daily basis is key to success.

The Sioux City Journal coverage area covers over 50 high schools in a three-state area. The sports department also covers seven collegiate athletic programs, including those at the NCAA Division I and II levels. There are four NAIA schools that regularly compete for national championships. The Journal sports staff has won back-to-back national championships from the National Newspaper Association.

This position requires night and weekend availability. A journalism, communications or English degree is required, and previous daily newspaper experience is preferred. Candidates also should have interest in and familiarity with high school sports.

Check out our social media feeds at @SCJ on Twitter and “Sioux City Journal” on Facebook.

The Sioux City Journal offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, paid time off and paid holidays. All applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check. Learn more or apply online at: siouxcityjournal.com.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted