1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

15DC912B-D656-4087-9672-E839BCB17F48.jpeg

swingline and Batman like this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Former Twins No. 1 pick Royce Lewis tore his ACL slipping on ice in Texas just before he reported to spring training and it looks like they caught it in the physical. Yikes.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always love all the dental work that seems to get scheduled this time of year - delaying various players arrival.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Shaq did this for years with various medical procedures and surgeries. I think he even said something along the lines of “Why would I ruin my vacation?”

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Many stories in the Connie Mack bio series of prominent players like Al Simmons training with a minor-league team in Hot Springs, Ark., and then not reporting to the A's until opening day. Mack was fine with it if he trusted the player, and it not being at major-league spring training every year clearly didn't hurt Al Simons.

maumann likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Amazing. This photo was taken at Bovard Field, USC's home until 1974. That is Bovard Hall behind him. And you can see the famous Bovard Tree. It was outside the fence down the first-base line, but in the spring, it grew and sometimes branches hung over the field. Even fair balls sometimes hit the branches. As the story went, when USC opened Dedeaux Field across the street, they were going to uproot the tree and replant it at Dedeaux Field.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. micropolitan guy

Isn't that where Mickey Mantle hit what some think was the longest homer in his career, in a spring training game very early in his career?

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I don't know that story. I also think it would be hard to measure since if he hit it over the fence, it probably hit a building right behind. But I can't remember what was back there.
    At my junior college, the English building was behind the right-field fence. Some guy hit a home run that went through an open entry door and was rolling down the hall past classrooms.

Liut likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

Splendid Splinter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted