1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mngwa, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can say without shame that I've never been to California. After seeing the video that someone posted of driving through Los Angeles, I think I would get a kick.
    Mrs. Chef would be face deep in a book, because she can't stand to see me drive in a lot of traffic. Her and our son spent a week together in San Francisco a few years back, but she never got behind the wheel.
    Have a good friend that worked in Houston for many years, and he told me that driving there is where roadrage was invented.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes yes. We get it. Accident. Accidental. Nothing done on purpose.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The worst part about driving in San Francisco is it’s literally all city streets. The southern part has freeways going to the Bay Bridge but that’s it. You have to navigate stoplights, one way streets and a maze that messes with your sense of direction. But for as bad as that is, if you’re patient and set yourself up in advance for turns, you’re fine. LA driving is a level of anxiety that I do not want. The interchange of I-5, 101, I-10 and highway 60 SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. People in LA tell you it’s 20 minutes to get anywhere. I think only Qanon are more in denial that that nonsense.

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

What’s the distinction between accident/crash/wreck that people have mentioned?

I assume accident specifically takes out intentional self harm - is that all?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just as it's prudent not to go into a bar in Florida without assuming at least 50 percent of the patrons are packing heat, it is prudent when driving in Boston to assume the cars directly in back or in front of you are capable of doing absolutely anything in the next nanosecond. My experience has been that in LA, most folks are competent drivers, there are just too many of them. I haven't driven in NYC in years and don't plan on doing so ever again. Why do it when you don't have to?

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have only driven through NYC once, trying to get from the Lincoln Tunnel to the Midtown-Queens Expressway when I was making a work trip to Stony Brook. Tall buildings rendered my Garmin (this was in 2009 or 10, I think) useless, and I nearly took out a pedi-cab trying to catch my turn. A bit harrowing. Visited my niece there a few years back and took the train since she lived a few blocks from Penn Station. Much less harrowing.

My only two trips to Boston to cover Tech-BC football games, I did not rent a car. T drops you off about a mile from Alumni Stadium, so there was no need.

D.C. is OK if you know where you're going. I'll drive there to catch Caps games (when that was still allowed) and park in a garage that's about a 10-minute walk from the arena, usually for dirt cheap, right on 6th and Pennsylvania. Metro is too unreliable and can take forever after games, just easier to park and scoot back out via 395.

It's the D.C. suburbs that are miserable. That stretch of 95 from the Beltway to Fredericksburg can take anywhere from 35 minutes to three hours, depending on the whim of traffic.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We never drive in cities when we're in Europe. If we leave the city? Yes, unless there's a train that works. It's just so much easier not to worry about it. We did drive around Ireland and that was challenging because it was opposite. It took both of us. Him driving, me navigating. Every single traffic circle (about 113,451,769 of them)... turn left, yield right.

misterbc and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I will never get used to California lane splitting by motorcycles.

MileHigh, misterbc and HanSenSE like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Knowing where you're going" (or the reverse) is everything.

Coming from Key Biscayne into downtown Miami on I-95 north, you will encounter four right lanes that eventually disappear.

I know that, so I immediately got into the left lane, knowing that within a couple of miles it would become the right lane (as all the lanes to the right of it would disappear). Drivers who don't know that are constantly having to make harrowing, last-second lane switches.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The LA driving is stressful only because (in non-pandemic times) you are just fucking sitting there.
    It jars me to this day. The law is you can't go more than 30 over the traffic. I can't believe what I see. I've only witnessed one accident.

MileHigh and Vombatus like this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Because our daughter occasionally drives 12-16 ft. box trucks in and around NYC, I’m not allowed to complain about driving in city traffic. She’s often the only film production crew member with a driver’s license and clean record, so she often is the one who picks up and hauls equipment and props to sets.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

You only need to take the bypass once to realize the best way to get through Atlanta is to take 75 straight through downtown
    The tricky part is going north
    If you don’t know where the turnoff to Chattanooga is, because it comes up on you quickly and is only the two right lanes, you’re screwed

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted