1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you know the officials screwed up ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by stix, Feb 23, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Scoring issues are correctable the entire game, they don't fall under the correctable error issues of live ball/dead ball. If this happened in the first quarter and was noted in the fourth, it could have been corrected. At least under IAABO, which not all states fall under.

Basketball scorekeepers .... ugh. Some nights you're good, other nights you're F'd. Same with timers. Like those who don't start the clock in a one-point game in a JV game with 9 seconds left and then (me) the varsity crew walks up and they "claim" to have been doing it for 30 years.

2. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I once covered a high school playoff game with a similar scorekeeping fiasco. In the first half, a No. 15 for Team B scored but the official scorekeeper credited No. 15 for Team A with the points. At halftime, the scoreboard operator changes what was the correct score to reflect the official book and that led to a huddle at the scorer’s table. Team B insists the score is wrong, Team A knows the score is wrong but says nothing (their No. 15 was a benchwarmer), the media members on hand were asked for their scores, which reflected Team B. In the end, they went with the official scorekeeper and Team B, of course, eventually lost by two points. It made for some great column material that week.

3. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

I’ve seen enough basketball scoreboard errors over the years, but the big one came in a girls basketball playoff game that was never corrected.

The board operator was off by one point for Team A and two points for Team B. In each case the points were added rather than missed. I can’t remember if that matched the official book, but neither team (neither scorer at the main table) complained. I and other reporters and other coaches scouting the game were aghast.

As the fourth quarter progressed and the score went back and fourth, you had actual ties with one team shown leading or one team actually leading and the game listed as tied. I was wondering what to ask if the game was decided by a point, something along the line of, “Did you know the score was wrong?” The final margin was by four or five points so it turned out to be a wacky paragraph instead.

Twice more in games I covered there the wrong score went up on the board. Same operator, who graded papers during times out and at halftime. Hard to get good help, I guess.

The only time I got involved was if asked. An official trying to resolve running clock problem asking the time of the last basket or something like that.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I don't get to many games these days, but when I do, if the electronic scoreboard doesn't put up 3, the coach almost always makes it known right away. Or someone on the bench does. Or the crowd.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We had a loosely run Christmas tournament several years ago at two adjacent gyms on a college campus. I went to the secondary gym to get the box score on one of our local teams, which according to the scoreboard, lost something like 56-48. Tournament people had recruited kids from the school who lived in the area to run the clock and keep the books, and when I added up the scoresheet - which the kid doing the book didn't - the local team had 4 or 6 more points than the winning team. That didn't make sense, so I went to the local coach, told him of the discrepancy and he laughed "No way we won," he said. His book checked out with the scoreboard. Then I went to the winning coach, introduced myself and got his book. Same thing, it matched the scoreboard. Tournament director was unconcerned. "We go with the scoreboard," he said. I did tell a couple of officials that I knew about what happened and if they did anything, I don't remember. That was my only day at the tournament. Tournament didn't last .....

6. stix

stix Well-Known Member

NFHS rules say once the referee deems the score final, it can't be corrected. So basically you've got until the end of the game.

I kind of did what you mentioned. I brought it up to visiting scorekeeper, we both went to check with official scorekeeper, and I pointed out to them where they had the difference. At that point the refs came over and I stepped away.

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed.

I had a good one run today on this, got a lot of feedback. Most of it appreciative of the way I explained how it all went down, as best as I could.

Of course, parents of the team that lost were mad at me for not suggesting that the bookkeeper that made the honest mistake be nothing short of dipped in scalding acid and made to repent his sins for 100 years while sleeping on a bed of broken glass. And, of course, they resorted to making fun of of my column mug when they ran out of arguments. The old, "Oh yeah, you're bald and ugly" routine. I always laugh at that.

All in all, it's turning out well for me and we'll just keep on movin'.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation at a high school baseball game. I was interviewing a pitcher about throwing a no-hitter. Kid from the other school who was keeping their scorebook claimed they got a hit. I asked which inning. He named the inning and the batter. I said, 'oh the one where the ball went through the shortstop's legs? (routine grounder, not too hot to handle).

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kids keeping the book or the scoreboard is a nightmare. Remember covering an American Legion playoff game one year. Runner on first, batter hits a long fly to right that the fielder dropped, but had the good sense to throw the ball to second to force the runner on first. The error light goes on, so I explain there can't be an error on the play because an out was made. So they tell me "but we're official." So I replied, "doesn't make you right," went back to my seat and left it as a 9-4 putout.

11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Ah, the old baseball scoring "discrepancies" where bookkeepers/coaches count everything they can count to make their players look good.

We had a coach years and years ago who insisted his player should get an RBI when a runner scored from 3rd on a wild pitch while he was batting.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

lol

Draft saved Draft deleted