1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Woods not out of yet.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This piece indicates that the variants have been mating.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The people who were big on “Wuhan flu” will be downright giddy to call it “California covid.”

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

RickStain stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That guy TV quoted seems to have been doomsdaying everything for the past month.

Of course I’m sure I would’ve been just as flippant on 2/23/20, so who knows.

RickStain likes this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Feigl-Ding, whose specialty is nutrition, has been repeatedly shredded by experts closer to the subject for distorting the truth in order to make terrifying tweets that get him lots of clicks and retweets. Then he buries all the "actually, it's not as bad as it sounds" caveats in the 27th post in the chain that he knows nobody will read. It's a formula that has made him very popular on Twitter and torched his reputation in the epidemiology community.

I'm not qualified to tell you he's full of shit. But a lot of people who are qualified to tell you he is full of shit will tell you that he's full of shit.

Here's a good article where a lot of them will tell you he's full of shit:

“Whoa!” “I’m crying!” “Worrisome!” “Buckle up!” The swift, complicated rise of Eric Feigl-Ding and his Covid tweet threads

What his TERRIFYING tweet doesn't say is that:

1) The California variant shows significantly less immunity evasion than, for example, the SA variant, which we already know the mRNA and Johnson and Johnson vaccines do pretty well against.

2) It's been around for half a year and already represents 50% of the cases in California. So whatever influence it's going to have on the course of the pandemic there, it's already had most of it. It could have contributed to the big winter wave, sure.

tapintoamerica and Roscablo like this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I basically tune out Feigl-Doom's tweets at this point.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  7. Jerry-atric

@TigerVols is no “glass half full” guy himself.

8. RickStain

Still kinda meh drops today. I'm inclined to continue calling it backlog clearing from the snowstorm for a few more days, especially since California is still dropping as normal. But I can't rule out it being the beginning of a plateau.

9. Jerry-atric

It seems hospitalizations and deaths will be the metrics to watch as the vulnerable are vaccinated.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Exponential growth gets steep ... exponential decline gets shallow.

12. RickStain

Yes, but the size of the drops as a percentage is decreasing, not just in raw numbers. The exponent of decay is moving closer to 1, which is not ideal. Or at least it appears to be over a small sample.

Draft saved Draft deleted