1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yesterday, Kennedy asked Garland that if one person with implict bias accuses another person of having implicit bias, "How do you know who wins?"

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Tanden is low hanging fruit
    She’s an easy way for Manchin to flex his muscles
    If any nominee was in trouble from the start it was her
    Now Biden knows how far he can push Manchin

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Biden can just designate Tanden as acting OMB chief and that's that. Or he can babble about his unlimited Article II powers....or get John Yoo and Bill Barr to attest to his awesome unitary executive energy.

matt_garth likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Exactly. Dinging her for mean tweets (however dumb to write) is comical given what others who he approved have said or done.

lakefront likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tanden is such a political pro - she's really the perfect person for the role of "appointee to sacrifice" to give the GOP a "win" and then find another place for her in the Administration - and allows Team Biden to make hay of the GOP suddenly having a problem with nasty social media posts, or women of color. She was kind of an odd choice for OMB which usually is headed by a nameless, faceless Capitol hill vet.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Some of them don't even want the kids sitting next to somebody from a different denomination.

7. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

All respect to the plumbers, HVAC people, car experts, handy-men, etc. Important work and hard to out-source. You don't have to go to college to do that and I see the problem with student loans. However, I think some of them are misled about the value of a college degree. Work that is easy to do at 20 becomes hard at 40 when hours of manual labor wear down the body. At that point, a college degree, an MBA, whatever might be helpful for some looking to move to management, start a company of their own, change jobs etc.
    The Republicans who mock an Ivy League degree (or any college degree) would gladly send their children to an Ivy League school.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Shit, possibly even political views.

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Republicans who mock Ivy League degrees often have Ivy League degrees.

College is not for everybody - especially since it's become nothing more than a glorified vocational school for white-collar jobs. The easy money flowing into the system is horrible for everybody. Folks get crippling student loan debt. Colleges jack up tuition prices because of all the money floating around which forces more families to get loans. If the system was like it is now back in the 1980s, I'd have been royally screwed for wasting two years on business/pre-law before switching to English/journalism. Luckily, prices were cheap enough back then I could work PT during the school year and FT in the summer to pay for school.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Again, I have no problem with the trades and anyone led to do them. But why do I keep seeing all these memes with the “Leave Britney Alone!” energy when I never see any actual attacks they are supposed to be a response to?

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

it cracks me up to hear my boomer mother and her boomer sister whine about “these kids not wanting to do blue collar work.” Growing up, I was told I was going to college. No if, and or buts. Both of my grandfathers broke their backs at US Steel and they did not want that life for their own kids or their grandchildren. So that entire generation of boomers steered their kids to higher education. Now, fast forward 30 years and these guys want to plead ignorance. Nope, not falling for it.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yes, the system has become disbalanced. But the reason why there became such a push for college was not that long ago there were any number of kids who came through high school with absolutely no expectation of going to college. Maybe because they didn't have enough money, maybe because they were the wrong color, maybe for other reasons. But there was a certain segment of kids that were discriminated against because the expectation was they would not go to college. Certainly there's nothing wrong with the trades, plumbing cannot be outsourced to India, but the snapback became sending kids to college who really weren't interested in it. An overcorrection, if you will. But I would rather assume that someone wants to go to college and should be encouraged to do so, than assume that they're not good enough or fit enough or smart enough for college and omit them because of where they grew up or what color they are.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted