1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We're getting to the point now where the numbers are low enough that the winter wave is over and we can start comparing them to previous levels.

But it's important to remember that comparing the daily case total across times with different testing levels is misleading. 10,000 cases in march of last year when we barely had any testing is a lot more than 10,000 cases in July of last year when we had it up to about 1 million per day. And that's still more than 10,000 cases today when we're running closer to 2m per day.

The CDC estimates that we were only catching 1 in 10 COVID cases last summer, now it's closer to 1 in 3.

This always brings me back to the old favorite COVID-19 Projections Using Machine Learning, where data scientist Youyang Gu has become recognized as more or less the leading expert on estimating true infection levels.

The US is about a week away from reaching the lowest levels of estimated true infections it's seen since the pandemic began in mid-March of last year.

lakefront likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Maybe this explains why I have to drive an hour to get my shots because I couldn’t get through in my county

129617A0-B299-45A1-B00C-DFBD9968CF2B.jpeg

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

They're holding the frickin' Korn Ferry Tour golf tournament at Lakewood Ranch this weekend. I hope DeSantis runs for President in 2024, if only to get him out of office because there's no way in hell he wins the nomination.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yes. Investigate that mother fucker.

5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is real? My friend, I just thought it was from the video game.

Can you imagine!

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just want to note that Alice and I will get our first shots on Friday. Gotta drive to Worcester, but it's less than an hour. I'd drive to Utah for the shots at this point.

lakefront, Hermes, matt_garth and 6 others like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fauci is trending on Twitter because the righties say Chris Wallace ripped him a new one.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

(all numbers are for the United States. Sorry to be US-centric)

Big hospital drop again today. We remain on pace to be at pandemic lows for hospitalizations on March 21.

I eyeballed it earlier and said a week, but I actually did the math now and at the rate cases are dropping, and applying that to covid19-projection.com's estimates of true infection levels, and we reach the lowest levels of infection since the beginning of the pandemic in 14 days.

We're also starting to see fewer deaths per hospitalization, as hospitals are less overwhelmed and a higher percentage of patients can get antibody treatments.

At this point, our problem in April is going to be one no one I'm aware of saw coming: How do keep people excited to get the vaccine when the virus seems to have disappeared?

lakefront likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Promise to nuke Florida if we achieve at least 75 percent vaccination?

RickStain likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I will never be excited enough to drive to Utah, in any event.

Maybe the CVS three miles up the road.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not the worst drive, just desolate. Fill up where you can when you can.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted