1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 11)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Barca defense is slow in the middle and did not play as a unit.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I loved the nat sound today for things like this.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And that was before they gave up a three spot in the second half. That’s a lot of P bombs.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, the U.S. women had a difficult time finishing and beat Canada 1-0 on Thursday.

All Samba has is Marta, Debinha and the coach who knows the U.S. best in Pia Sundhage. No American fan should ever forget what a wrecking ball Marta can be, I've watched Debinha do plenty up front for the North Carolina Courage and all Sundhage did was win the gold medal twice for the U.S. and later led Sweden to take out the Americans in the Olympics five years ago.

Reason for concern?

5. Webster

US should have scored 6 and given up 3 today.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hey, didn't you used to be Liverpool?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pia Sundhage hasn’t coached the USWNT since 2012.

8. Sam Mills 51

Fortunate to win 2-0. Was ahead only 1-0 when Marta and Debinha had a serious chance at equalizing.

The early goal was critical, not only to get the obvious early lead, but also because I was wondering if Pia was going to bunker down like she had Sweden do in the Olympic match in 2016. Granted, Samba has a lot more talent up front, but I could have seen Pia bunker them in to play for the scoreless draw again, especially after the lopsided result against Argentina which gave them the standing at the top of the table because of goal differential.

Now ... beat or draw against Argentina - should beat, but I thought the same about the struggle against Canada - and the U.S. takes the tournament.

9. Sam Mills 51

Agreed, but four years didn't prove too long to fall out of some degree from familiarity. And the other former coaches are not coaching at the international level, so she still knows them better than any opposing coach.

Sundhage knew she couldn't play the Americans straight up. This time, she felt she could and proved correct. Yes, they lost but it wasn't grossly lopsided and her side almost equalized midway through the second half.

At least this time, no one was using the media to call her side "cowards."

10. Webster

Heck of a goal from Giroud today.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Holy crap, Fulham

MileHigh likes this.
  12. Webster

They are playing really well. Going to actually be a decent battle for 18th.

And when United can do that to City, it makes their horrible results to bottom of the table teams even more frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted