1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2021

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Feb 8, 2021.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Thank you! I was really hoping someone would get that reference!

You are a man of extraordinary magnitude.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You have my gratitude.

da man likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Basically since Agassi and Sampras retired and Roddick got his U.S. Open, it’s been an almost unbroken string of Roger, Rafa, Djoker and Murray. Eighteen years. Incredible run.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Then maybe Serena is the smart one. Load management worked for her. She plays fewer tournaments over her career. So she only played the Grand Slams and the matches with the greatest exposure and prize money. So when she’s younger and in prime age she had more rest between important matches than anyone, would go further in those tourneys and make more money per tournament than anyone. Less wear and tear and more time to heal. Also less opportunities to be drug tested.

Osaka has never lost a quarter final, semi final or finals match in a Grand Slam. 12-0.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When the IOC announced stricter drug testing at Athens, Williams and Capriati literally got off the plane.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You have to be able to afford to be smart (where you're not chasing paychecks and ranking points). Most players can't.

I guess those were the days before she got her quadrennial "therapeutic use waivers."

7. goalmouth

Years ago on a visit to Nike HQ, I was shown a video of Agassi sprinting up to a golf tee and hitting the ball 250 yards straight down the fairway.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's great. Never heard that before.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fantastic story, thanks.

10. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I have long thought that had his dad pushed him mercilessly into baseball instead of tennis, Agassi would have been an absolutely unbelievable hitter, given his hand-eye coordination and ability to square up serves no matter how fast they were coming.

BTExpress likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth's wife says "hold my beer."

12. goalmouth

When Agassi mania was just breaking, a sponsor gave me tickets to an event he was playing at Forest Hills, thinking I'd write about it. The only thing I knew about him was that he had long hair. I'd never even covered a pro tennis event. So, I'm wandering around the charming grass courts at Forest Hills, and I see a long-haired guy warming up. I watch for a few minutes, and during a break make my move.

"Are you Andre Agassi?"

"No," said a surprised but cordial Olympic doubles gold medalist Ken Flach. "I think he's over there, in the clubhouse."

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted