1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Palm Springs is just as close as the Santa Monica Pier is to Auto Club Speedway. But Fox (and before it ESPN) has been doing the Hollywood/beach angle of the Fontana race since the place opened in the late 1990s.

maumann likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My friend arranged a golf group for some high school classmates at Westchester GC (18-hole pitch & putt next to LAX). One of the women in our group is a member at Bel-Air. I was notified that she was going to arrange a foursome or two for us at Bel-Air. I immediately thought that I had to go buy some better clothes. She didn't do it. I had only been to Bel-Air a couple of times for luncheon award ceremonies, and to talk with pro Eddie Merrins, who was UCLA's golf coach, too.

For our 50-year class reunion, we checked out Riviera CC. I know we had the 10-year reunion there and maybe the 15. This time, Riviera required a dress code. I used to know all of the administrators up there, including the Hathaways (owners), Dick Caruso (golf shop owner) and Ron Rhoads (the head pro). I have played it 3-4 times and I covered the L.A. Open maybe 20 times. I know several people who are members.

A couple of years ago, an acquaintance died and his memorial service was at L.A. Country Club, where he was a member. He was married into the beach volleyball crowd. I wondered what I would look like if I wore a suit and Sinjin Smith (his brother-in-law) showed up in shorts and flops. He didn't, he was in a suit. I wore slacks and dress shoes. My shirt was a Hawaiian shirt, but more "dress Hawaiian." It was very subdued, black with subtle palm fronds. The parking lot attendant told me I had to tuck it in. Even a Hawaiian shirt? Yes, tuck it in. I never had a sniff of LACC and, except for that memorial, I probably never will.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

First time I've been aware of Wyndham Clark.
    Reminded me of the time Ron Howard was on with Leno and it came up that Howard has two kids whose middle names are Essex. Leno asked how that decision was made. Howard said that they named the kids after the place where they were conceived. Two of them happened to be at an Essex Hotel when he was filming movies. Leno said if it was his kid, the name would be Volvo.
    I wonder if Clark's parents stayed at a Wyndham Hotel.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

One of the guys in the last group, Tyler McCumber, is an interesting sort. His father won 10 times and the 1988 Players Championship. A bit of a late bloomer but was All-SEC at Florida. Played on the Latin American Tour and would hitchhike in places like Costa Rica with nothing but his surfboard in tow. Also, he slammed his fingers in a sliding glass door at his hotel on Tuesday, had the nail removed the next day and the doctor advised him not to play. Hit some balls and figured he was good to go.

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So he's as tough as nails?

BTW, Notah Begay was on Golf Channel's lead-in show yesterday and amazingly, never resorted to a cliche the entire time he spoke. That's like me getting a hole in one.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Sir Nick noted Joaquin Niemann wasn’t wearing socks and his shirt was untucked
    “I guess he’s comfortable,” Faldo said disapprovingly

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Fricking California weather. Golf had lots of sun but a wind delay and hockey had no wind but a sun delay.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

DJ’s gonna win this, amirite?

maumann likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Finau, finally!!!

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Narrator voice: He wasn't.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That display of chipping around the 10th green by DJ and Burns sure looked familiar to us hackers.

maumann likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

DJ would have a roomful of major trophies by now if his short game improved to even marginal.

Draft saved Draft deleted