1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Much of his allure comes from the fact he was positioned as the heir to Tiger when the sport really needed one, then he morphed into heir to David Duval territory, and everyone loves a comeback story, donchaknow?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haha, like when the bishop said "put me down for a five" and the caddie held up two hands.

Anyone else notice the microphones turned down a bit there as that played out? Like they were on full alert for profanity or a Justin Thomas-level self-scolding.

maumann likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When Spieth had his dominant run he made every putt he looked at inside of like 20 feet. Nobody can keep that up, and he hasn't. But this natural reasserting of probabilities seems to have messed with his head. He made some terrific shots yesterday, but almost all of them were to make a green in regulation from trouble he found off the tee. Since he's never gonna hit it as far as Rory, DJ, or DeChambeau, Spieth might want to consider throttling down a bit on his drives.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

USGA hires Mike Whan, former LPGA commish, to replace the outgoing Mike Davis. Great hire. LPGA players loved him and it will be good to have some fresh perspective in that USGA CEO role.

playthrough, MileHigh and maumann like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

On the Golf channel, Dottie Pepper found it "amazing" that Colin Morikawa grew up in LA and never played Riviera until the 2017 US Amateur.
    Good lord.

TigerVols and maumann like this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

“And Dan I hear he’s yet to eat at Nobu. Can you believe that?”

MileHigh and poindexter like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Last weekend, it was the fact that Maverick McNealy never played Pebble Beach until his 16th birthday (for some reason, his father wouldn't let him), and they lived just a few steps off the 15th green.
    Don't know how many times they referenced that, but it was MANY.

maumann likes this.
  8. poindexter

Not quite what I was trying to say. I don't know much about Morikawa, I think his parents were working class, and La Canada is a nicer area. He didn't grow up in Pacific Palisades.
    But you can't call up the pro shop at Riviera and book a tee time, you know?

MileHigh and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

But, wait! I thought Morikawa grew up across the street from Harding Park, the way they kept referring to him as "the local kid from Berkeley." I knew everything was only 15 minutes from Tahoe, but does anybody in TV actually understand the geography of the Golden State?

I also love that Bam-Bam is from "nearby Clovis." Like Clovis is a suburb of both San Francisco AND Los Angeles.

qtlaw and MileHigh like this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Perhaps her thinking was surely a young amateur player THAT good -- clearly a rising star -- who lived in the LA area would have played in some sort of tournament at Riviera at least once before competing in the U.S. Amateur as a college player.

11. poindexter

I am sure you are right. Sounded tone deaf. I'm pretty sure the Rio Hondo League golf championships weren't held at Riviera.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he played higher-level tournaments along the way.

According to his Wikipedia page, he won the Western Junior in 2013, the 2015 Trans-Mississippi Amateur, the 2016 Silicon Valley Amateur and Sunnehanna Amateur and the 2017 ASU Thunderbird Invitational and Northeast Amateur -- in addition to his college tournaments.

It's not like he was playing at a local goat track all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted