1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the Buffalo games I saw, Allen ran less than he did in 2019, and when he did, it was usually on his own hook when man to man defenses opened up the middle.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Cam Newton couldn’t throw the ball last year, his accuracy was awful.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Allen had 109 rushes for 510 yards and 9 TDs in 2019. He had 102 rushes for 421 yards and 8 TDs in 2020.
    I didn't watch them closely enough to break down his tendencies, whether they were more designed runs or he was just breaking out on his own when the situation allowed (or whether he was doing a better job of avoiding hits when he did run). At the end of the day he's got 300 carries in three seasons, which is a lot for a QB. He and Lamar Jackson were the only two QBs to have 100+ rushing attempts in both 2019 and 2020.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wentz can't play behind a bad line. He just doesn't understand how to do it. He just holds the ball way too long, then does something stupid when the pressure gets to him.

Rivers makes better decisions than Wentz, but that line is the bigger factor in the pass protection. The injuries up front were at their worst in the game against Pittsburgh, when Rivers was sacked five times.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just looked it up. Newton's completion percentage was 65.8. By contrast, Tom Brady's was 65.7. I watched all the games, and I think it's a "nothing more dangerous than the evidence of your own eyes" situation. Newton's misses were often BAD throws, comically so. And many of his misses were of easy, completion-friendly passes. But overall, most of his passing stats are only below average or average, not wretched, with one exception, only having eight TD passes, which drove his overall rating way way down. In summation, while I don't think Belichick is gonna keep Cam around, as a pure football move it wouldn't be that odd.
    PS: It is also true that some of Newton's more memorable bad plays, fumbles, interceptions, sacks, etc., came in crunch time of close games. That's not a desirable trait in a QB.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Newton was bad, but that offense was a mess. I know Brady elevated some unknowns, but I'm not sure even he ever had a group of receivers doing as little to help him as what the Patriots had for Newton this past season.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a worse stat in sports right now, to judge anything, than qb completion percentage. It just does not tell anything about the production of a qb. Is he missing identifying open men? Can't tell by completion percentage. Is he throwing screens all day, or throwing downfield? Can't tell by completion percentage. Are receivers dropping passes? Can't tell by completion percentage. Are receivers even able to get open? Can't tell by completion percentage.

It is the worst.

Liut likes this.
  9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I always liked yards per attempt for QBs.

I would say that face off percentage in hockey gets far too much emphasis.

JC likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Much better.

Tighthead likes this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I would love to see a first down stat for players.

When a touch ends in a first down is obviously a very positive play.

A four-yard catch on third-and-three is a lot better than a 12-yard catch on third-and-15. Runs... completions...

Third down tackles that lead to a fourth down would be a great stat for defenders.

These might be out there, but I think they should be promoted more.

misterbc and Tighthead like this.
  12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Some of that was counted in DVOA, the stat Football Outsiders came up with. I don’t know where that stands today, as opposed to what PFF and others do. I haven’t visited the site in years. The whole idea was based on things like a four yard run on 3rd and 2 being worth more than one on 3rd and 15. Obvious stuff but quantified.

Years ago, I remember that late in the season Michael Irvin only had one catch that hadn’t gone for a first or a TD. That to me was a massive endorsement of his productivity.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted