1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2021

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Feb 8, 2021.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

She’s still one of the 10 best female players in the world. But that’s a long way from being the undisputed best player in the world.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A few years ago you look at a draw and say, "Gee, who can beat Serena?" The answer was maybe 2-3 people.

Now it's two or three dozen. Which makes winning seven matches in a row mighty difficult.

Young players like Osaka may have idolized her when they were growing up, but they've never experienced an "unbeatable" Serena on the court. There's no reason to fear her.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Funny you mention Osaka. Every time Serena is brought up, she goes into timid little girl mode and talks about how intimidating Serena is, and how nervous she gets playing aganst her. She even did that heading into the semis in this tournament.

And when they played in the semis, she really did look scared and shaky in the first couple of games. Trying to remember if that was the case in other matches against Serena, but I don't recall.

But once she gets going -- and especially in big moments -- Osaka is tough and ruthless. And she makes Serena look rough and toothless.

One thing Osaka said in her post-match interview is a great indication (to me, anyway) of how mentally strong she is and how much she's driven to win. Someone asked her about her perfect record in the late rounds of majors, and she replied, "I have this mentality that people don't remember the runners-up. ... The winner's name is the one that's engraved."

It comes up at 3:42 of this video:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of everything about Osaka...except that hideous tennis outfit she's wearing this tournament.
    Looks like something from the Serena collection a few years back.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well played, sir.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, that was disappointing.

Medvedev came into the final with 20 consecutive match wins -- 12 of them against players ranked in the top 10, including wins over Nadal and Djokovic. He destroyed two of them -- Rublev and Tsitsipas -- in this tournament. I really thought he had a really good chance to win this thing, or at least make Djoker sweat.

Instead, he completely crumbled. Djoker played great (of course), but Medvedev didn't even put up a fight after the first set. I love his game and his attitude, but that was awful.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  7. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

Medvedev's attitude is the one thing I hate about him. Once he dropped the first set after making such a good effort, you could see the final result coming a mile away.

Did I hear the stat correctly that Leyton Hewitt was the last person other than Roger/Rafa/Novak to be ranked 1 or 2? That's amazing considering the Internet says he retired five years ago.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it was a foregone conclusion at that point. In the past three months, he's come from a set down to beat Nadal, Thiem and Zverev. Nadal was serving for the match at 5-4. And don't forget the 2019 U.S. Open final, when Medvedev came back from two sets and a break down to push Nadal to the wire.

That's why this performance was such a disappointment. Afterward, John McEnroe (who Medvedev has always reminded me of) said he's always looked at Medvedev as a guy who you expect to win multiple majors, but after watching this match, maybe you start to question that. While I'm not convinced this one match should change that expectation, that statement does point out just how bad it was.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, it was Andy Murray, from Nov. 7, 2016 to Aug. 20, 2017. Before that it was Andy Roddick in 2004.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In two weeks, Djoker will record his 311th week at No. 1 in the world rankings, surpassing Federer as the all-time record holder.

Gulp.

(of course, tennis rankings have been effectively frozen during the pandemic)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sorry, that was the answer to the last No. 1 before the big three. Not sure about No. 2.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A Kentucky Fried Movie pull!

Loo : And who are they?

Dr. Klahn : Refuse, found in waterfront bars.

Loo : Shanghaied?

Dr. Klahn : Just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

Prisoner #1 : Where are we?

Prisoner #2 : I don't care!

Loo : And these?

Dr. Klahn : These are lost drunken men who don't know where they are, but do care! And these are men who know where they are and care, but don't drink.

Prisoner #3 : I don't know who I am!

Prisoner #4 : Yeah. and I don't drink.

Dr. Klahn : Guards!

[moves prisoners]

Dr. Klahn : Do you care?

Prisoner #5 : No.

Dr. Klahn : Put this man in cell #1, and give him a drink.

Guard : What do you drink?

Prisoner #5 : I don't care.

da man likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted