1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Anybody who has played Roller Coaster Tycoon knows to charge people 50 cents to use the bathroom.

dixiehack and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ted Cruz called all his friends to make sure they’re alright while waiting to board.

Then he had another four hours to kill.

HanSenSE, garrow, Wenders and 3 others like this.
  3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Private Citizen Beto O'Rourke set up a call center to contact vulnerable citizens to make sure they had heat, water, food, a ride to a warming station, etc.

THIS is what leadership looks like:

Also, pray for my electric bill next month. As one of the fortunate few who had power most of this week, I'm also gonna pay for it in scarcity rates.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Houston is begging its residents to stop dripping faucets and risk their pipes freezing up because they have to conserve every drop possible for the hospitals. And while I’m sure many will ignore that request, many others will quietly make the sacrifice, knowing it could devastate their budget.

I know the survivalist ex-mayors of the world don’t want to hear this, but people down there will need disaster relief. It turns out we’re the shithole country.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The thaw has started. It was -8 on Tuesday morning. Next Tuesday afternoon it’s supposed to be 67. I think we made it without losing any water pipes.

6. Wenders

The only thing that froze at my house was the water line to my fridge, which thawed out with some application from a space heater quite efficiently. I'm extremely fortunate. My small hamlet is also not under a Boil Water notice. Many of my friends are and the breweries all opened to provide potable water today to those in need.

I'm continuing to conserve power until we get back above freezing tomorrow. The nice thing about Texas is winter does not generally linger. This is the second-longest stretch of time below freezing in DFW history.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How long ago was the first time your area had this extended freeze?

8. Wenders

295 hours below freezing is the record for DFW Airport, in December of 1983.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There is also something called a degree day that measures level below freezing or any temperature you choose. If you are six hours at 30 degrees with 32 as your baseline, that’s 12 heating degree days. If you are four hours at 30 and two hours at 10, that’s 32 heating degree days, and obviously worse.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My bro said they just went above freezing. His water pipes run up the outside of his house.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not just Texas where the lights are out.

Draft saved Draft deleted