1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Funnies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Feb 14, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm talking about comic strips. Which ones still resonate and which haven't aged well?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Snoopy's confoundment is one of the funniest things I've always loved about Peanuts.

Snoopy-AK-couldnt-be-happy.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Hermes, UNCGrad and OscarMadison like this.
  3. OscarMadison

The background: I'm replacing some shelves and going through what was on the old ones. One included a stack of perusal copies and old standbys that made for diversional comfort reading. In looking through the first few, I find my allegiances have switched from Bloom County to Calvin and Hobbes. I loved both, but used to feel more at home in the world of Bloom County. Rereading it now, I find it off-putting. Calvin and Hobbes feels like a window into a place I'd rather visit.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I still buy the yearly collection of Pearls Before Swine - I love Pastis' commentary on his own work. I also know the author of Wallace the Brave - he's from Rhode Island and has a heck of a jumper - so I check that one out from time to time too. Kind of like a mellower Calvin and Hobbes.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  5. OscarMadison

Snoopy is a modern-day Puck. "What fools these mortals be." His Mitty-like adventures as a flying ace were little masterpieces.

Regan MacNeil, UNCGrad and Songbird like this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Calvin and Hobbes are pretty much perfectly timeless cartoons. I got the whole collection one year for Christmas, and it's great. The Far Side also holds up pretty well.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. OscarMadison

The dad jokes in Pearls are dependably so bad they're good. And how can anyone read it for very long and not say, "Aw, Pig..."

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Listen to the comics section of Sunday Papers with Greg Fitzsimmons and Mike Gibbons. They joke about the awful comics like Hagar, Andy Capp, and Family Circus. Greg loves Blondie, though.

I grew up reading Doonesbury books. I learned American history from them. I also read hand me down Andy Capp books. The strip I loved and bought all the books of was Bloom County.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oh, Andy Capp, you wife-beating drunk!

— HJ Simpson

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Loved Bloom County and Calvin & Hobbes. Agree that Calvin & Hobbes has aged better.

My more recent favorite was Get Fuzzy. The guy who drew it, Darby Conley, just slowly quit over a few years with no explanation. It's strange -- even the newspapers never got an reason why it eventually became all reruns. He just sort of disappeared.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to my world.

— I still read Gil Thorp daily.
    — Mark Trail recently changed artists and has a more comic direction.
    — Judge Parker has been great for the past few years as the main family has suffered numerous public insults and calamities.
    — I don’t understand The Phantom.
    — Rex Morgan is hit or miss.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted