1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Brady: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Justin_Rice, Feb 7, 2021.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wasn’t it you who thinks LeBron is hurt by the finals his team has lost? And I’m sure you said the same of Brady.

to lose a final you have to win a conference championship game or series, those are big games or series as well.

And holy fuck do I hate hearing people say GOAT or baby GOAT. It’s nauseating

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well you’re 100 percent wrong about me ever slagging on LeBron for his Finals record, so maybe dont be so sure about what Ive said about Brady? That’s kinda dickish. I watched Jordan in his prime and I always argue LeBron is better. The GOAT, in fact.

My opinion of Brady has definitely evolved. Baby GOAT? That’s lame. But GOAT is just convenient shorthand for a common conversation on a sports message board and I really dont feel it’s necessary to write Greatest of All Time repeatedly because of someone’s aversion to goats of all ages.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The whole GOAT thing still weirds me out every time because I’m old enough to remember when the goat was the guy who screwed up and lost the game for his team.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, I’m about 90 percent sure the first one to use GOAT to mean “greatest of all time” was Maurice Greene, who as I recall had it tattooed on his arm.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

He sleeps with the fishes, my friend.

Sea Bass and Guy_Incognito like this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I believe Otto Graham made it to the league championship game in every season he played.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That Dem who polls on ridiculous things should put a Brady as the GOP nominee in 2024 poll in the field - just to stir something up. Might make California, Michigan, and the New England states competitive.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I find it funny people having "Brady greatest athlete ever?" takes since from very early in his career, Brady has made self-deprecating comments on his athleticism. Greatest quarterback ever? Sure. Who'd argue that now? Just the success after age 4o gets him that. But the world of sports is very wide. Anyone posting now old enough to remember ABC's "Superstars," where top athletes from different sports competed in various events which were not their specialties? If they had that today, Brady would never enter it. He's too smart.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember pole vaulter Bob Seagren kicked everyone's ass in "Superstars."

HanSenSE and heyabbott like this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

In terms of pure athleticism, Brady does not rank all that high (though I wouldn't be surprised if he is signficantly better in that area now than when he was a rookie). But if they're ranking professional athletes by their proficiency, success and impact in their chosen field of competition, then yes, Brady is at or near the top worldwide.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

By greatest athlete ever, I think people are talking about his success in an athletic endeavor, not his athleticism. But your point is taken. The greatest raw athletes sometimes aren't that good at team sports. There is obviously more that goes into greatness.

I find this aspect of sports so interesting, particularly when it comes to football. They measure draft-eligible players athletically in a bunch of ways, and it tells them something about potential, but sometimes just watching film of what a player did in actual games is the better barometer for that particular guy. Anyone who has seen video of Brady at the combine -- running the 40 -- knows it is funny. What is harder to measure, though, is that ability to stand in the pocket or move around in the pocket for that split second longer than anyone else and make the right choice more often than another QB. Even for a player whose speed or strength might actually matter more than it does for a pocket-passing QB, sometimes the combine only tells you so much. I think the stories of Jerry Rice only running a 4.6 or a 4.7 are BS, he was undoubtedly faster than that, but he wasn't anywhere near the guy running a 4.25. You had to have watched him on a football field in actual games to get a sense of his route running, hands and body control. And ultimately it comes down to a guy who gets it done -- regardless of how athletic you think he is -- versus the freak athlete who doesn't get it done. If you just went by Rice's combine results, you were going to underestimate him. And these are guys who were the best ever to play, which goes to show how much more than the athleticism you were talking about goes into it.

12. MLB Fan 1983

MLB Fan 1983 New Member

The Oakland Athletics in the '70s had a player who was only used to pinch run. He was probably a better "athlete" than Reggie Jackson, if we are going by raw, animal athleticism.

Draft saved Draft deleted