1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've been watching some episodes here and there. Jennings has been pretty good so far. There's room for improvement, of course, but he looks like he can grow into the role.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think the same thing. As discussed before, his voice is a slight negative, but for everything else needed to host Jeopardy, he checks the boxes.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

He’s improved by leaps and bounds quickly.

Matt1735 likes this.
  4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I think he's improved quickly as well. Becoming more natural and getting better with the rhythm of the clues. Still a little wooden - how can he not be? - with mid-game banter, but again, has come a long way already. And I still like the, "Thank you, Alex" at the end of every show. It's working.

Matt1735 likes this.
  5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

My only beef with Jennings is how he tries to BE Trebek. From the way he thanks Johnny Gilbert at the beginning, to the way he does certain hand gestures, to the way he leads into the daily double clues, he’s practically a clone. He needs to come up with something of his own, even if it’s just something small. But again, the game is the same as it always has been, and the game is what people love. The only times I ever watched just because of Alex Trebek was his last week of episodes. Having people like Aaron Rodgers host may make people tune in to see the host, and I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    wicked likes this.
  6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

And I thought Jennings was pretty smooth tonight (Friday 2/5).

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I really wish drunken Orson Welles was alive to do this.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He's improved a lot in the time he's been hosting. Some focused feedback and rehearsals, the passage of time, and a Dr. Oz stint later, the audience will be ready for him to be at the helm.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

He has improved. I think most of the rest of the coming guest hosts sound like shite

Draft saved Draft deleted