1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Isles played really well last night, which made the win even better. They killed off a five-minute power play just before the game winner and tilted the ice for most of the second period. Samsonov may not be the Caps' No. 1 goalie when he's eligible to return. Vanecek has been a revelation.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I really hate watching the Islanders play now. They will try to run out 2 1/2 periods if they get a one goal lead. I respect how disciplined they are as a team, but if you are not a fan of them, it's like watching a washing machine.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah sorry guys, I was off-board for a couple of days.

I have a love/hate relationship with Canucks Twitter. I love their passion, but they can also go insane. A lot of them want Benning fired, and I said the dumbest thing the organization can do is make a panic move. Evidently, that didnt go over well, lol.

Most of the time, it's pretty harmless. If people are mad at me and forgetting how challenging life is, I'm good with that. I did get several DMs from fans apologizing for what assholes exist out there. All in all, pretty hilarious experience.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Canuck fans hate each other. There’s a huge divide between pro and anti Benning, starts with the 2 radio stations in town. One waves Pom poms and refuses to criticize anything(the rights holder) and the other is anti Canuck management.

Benning should be fired, he should have never made it this long, he’s been a disaster. People will point to his drafting, fine, he’s also had 2 big misses in the top 10. But I agree with your point, teams should never make rash decisions. Ride this out and re-evaluate in the off-season.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Ducks got their second 1-0 victory last night at Arizona. They almost had a third, but in their second game, Vegas pulled the goalie and scored in the last minute then won in OT. Ducks continue with the worst offense in the league. They still haven't scored a power-play goal, but their PK is pretty good.

The Coyotes suffered their second consecutive 1-0 loss. Ducks announcer Brian Hayward said it must be difficult to look at your stats and see you gave up 2 goals in the past 2 games and have nothing to show for it.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jim Rutherford just resigned as GM of the Penguins for personal reasons. Hmmmh.

7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

That would be a tough team to takeover. Not much depth, but you can’t really go full rebuild with Sid and Malkin there.

Slightly related but Matt Murray is a disaster in Ottawa at $6.25 for four years.

8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Vancouver isn’t as big a market as Toronto or Montreal, and the spotlight isn’t as large. However, pound for pound I think it’s the craziest market in the country.

JC likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

For years, the mandate has been to do what it takes to compete for a Cup as long as Sid and Geno are there.

The problem becomes who wants to try to keep that organization going for the years of already-spent draft picks and prospects the team will be without trying to kick the can down the road to keep them at that level now?

Makes me wonder if they're finally realizing this.

Having said that, wishing JR nothing but the best. Yeah, he won two Cups with Sid and Geno. Try winning a Cup with a lot less. He did that.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny for two reasons:
    The broadcast had just gotten done making a big deal how the Caps had played in four straight OT games
    and
    They had just said at the end of the period, don't do anything that will cost you the game and that guaranteed point.

Sure enough, Caps get a break away and beat the keeper.

And on a separate note: The Avalanche are fucking good.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think this is accurate.

What do you think @Elliotte Friedman ?

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No question

Tighthead likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted