1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Given the chance to talk about the Medal of Freedom, she went full Mark McGwire "not here to talk about the past":

Annika Sorenstam vows to 'move forward' after Presidential Medal of Freedom flap

Which led to this from Christine Brennan, who I'm not usually down with but she's quite right:

Opinion: Annika Sorenstam and much of golf world refuse to break from Donald Trump

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    qtlaw likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK you PGA types explain to my why has the Bob Hope decline to such an unimpressive event that attracts pretty much nobody? I would think the first California event on such an easy course would collect at least a couple of Top 10 guys?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Usually, you've got players who play back-to-back in Hawaii. It's conference championship weekend for the NFL, so easy to take the week off.

Also, it's a pro-am (not this year), and the pros would rather play the three-round pro-am at Pebble than the cookie-cutters in the Low Desert. Plus, usually, you've got to play three rounds for the cut, so those long-ass rounds aren't worth it.

You have four higher-profile events coming up -- La Jolla, Phoenix, Pebble, Riviera. Then a WGC, so it's an optimal week off.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, it's the PGA Tour. The PGA is a separate organization.
    Second, it hasn't been the Bob Hope since 2011
    Good...now that I have that off my chest, this year's field included Phil, Koepka, Cantlay, Rickie, Finau, Molinaro, Na, Reed and Woodland. Those guys aren't nobody. But a lot of the top players skip this one precisely because it's an easy course, plus (in normal years) they have to play with pro-am partners for three rounds. Doing it at Pebble is once enough for most guys. But there won't be a daily pro-am there either.

maumann likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

What percentage of PGA pros know who Bob Hope was?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Since you must correct everyone ... Molinari.

MileHigh and Tighthead like this.
  7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Tiger does. There is a rumour that he never played it because Hope didn’t give him an invite as a teen.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Southern Hills is an outstanding course. At least the PGA is in May now. When they had it there last time (Tiger won if I recall), heat was intolerable. I was there for the 2001 Open and it was already vicious heat and humidity in June.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. MileHigh

Agreed, it's a great track. And the move to May was the right one and opens up a lot more courses. I get not going back to Harding two years later. And it likely won't get it in 2030 with Olympic on the docket for 2028.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Selfishly, it would be great if Trump had to sell his Virginia course, because it's a bit of a pain in the ass for us at the association level. We ran an advertisement for them a few years back and got a bunch of angry calls saying to keep politics out of their email inbox. Of course, if we tell them we won't sell them an ad because they're a Trump property, we're taking a political side there too. No-win situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted