1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hank Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 22, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He had a career average of .309 and was averaging 25 HRs a year as the best fielding SS in baseball with the Mariners. That's slam dunk HOF territory barring a cataclysmic late career falloff.

I agree you throw out the roid seasons if you're talking about "greatest players ever." But if ARod never touched the juice and played our his final 15 seasons as a league-average player, he's still an easy HOF pick.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

In no order, I assume the list if steroids aren’t an issue

Mays
    Schmidt
    Bonds
    Clemens
    A-Rod
    Maddux
    Carlton
    Koufax
    Bench
    Pujols

How serious should Trout’s inclusion be

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

WHERE THE FUCK IS JETES?!

Also, I'd have Rickey Henderson on there over Carlton.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Without checking too closely I'd guess Trout is pretty equal to where Griffey was at the same age, with the caveat that Griffey sagged somewhat down the stretch of his career.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Moral gerrymandering will resolve that.

7. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

If you go by baseball-reference.com WAR (which one might easily decide not to do, I understand), Trout leads Griffey over their first 10 seasons 74.6 to 65.8.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That one got past a diving Jeter.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mays is a no brainer. But it depends on what you regard as most important. Do you build a team around pitching or offense I choose pitching generally. So Clemens, Carlton and Koufax are next. Bench and Schmidt, then Bonds, Henderson, ARod and Rose.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Personal thoughts. Henderson is ALWAYS underrated. Greatest leadoff man of all time. Since that's an important job, should count for more. Carlton's a hard one for me, because he was a Phillie when they finally won it all, but IMO, the two greatest pitchers I ever saw were Koufax and Pedro. I covered Clemens, too, and he was amazing, but not like Pedro in his prime. You went to the park on days he was pitching thinking "today I see a perfect game."

wicked likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maddux over Clemens.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted