1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hank Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 22, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Saw No. 715 on a tiny b & w TV in my dorm room. I never realized until recently he played in Buffalo before turning affiliated pro, with the Indianapolis Clowns, who played at Buffalo's Offerman Stadium, not in Indy.

The HOFers dying now were the stars of my youth/teens, when I ate, drank and slept baseball. These deaths really hit home.

Dog8Cats and Mngwa like this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Atlanta should now rename the team the Hammers.

Wenders, garrow, wicked and 14 others like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I knew Aaron played for the Milwaukee Braves, but I did not know until today that the Braves signed him while they were still in Boston, in 1952. They did not announce the move until March 1953.

garrow likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Should have done it years ago. It sounds good. The logo has possibilities. It’ll never happen. SEC Values and all that. But a nice thought.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Charles Schulz could drop a mic. These were EIGHT MONTHS BEFORE Aaron broke the record:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    garrow, Mngwa, HanSenSE and 3 others like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading a biography of Aaron when I was in elementary school. It talked about how he was signed with two other African-American players (Felix Mantilla and someone else whose name escapes me) and they were assigned to play on Jacksonville's team. Needless to say, the fans weren't kind. However, his manager, Ben Geraghty went out of his way to welcome the players, and would visit them nearly every night whether they were at home or on the road, sleeping at African-American hotels or people's homes due to segregation, to make sure that they were OK. Sometimes he would visit just a few minutes, and other times for hours just to talk baseball. Aaron called Geraghty the most fairest-minded man he'd ever met.

Geraghty had an interesting career as well. He managed a minor league team in Washington State in the 1940s, which ended up in a bus crash that killed roughly half the team and severely injured Geraghty. Pat Jordan mentioned Geraghty in "A False Spring" as him still having emotional problems after the crash years later. Geraghty ended up dying young in the mid-1960s after working for years as a respected member of the Braves' farm system.

Anyways, RIP to Hammering Hank, who retired when I was very young. An incredible career in the face of terrible hardships.

Slacker, OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Also was a DH for the Brewers in 1976

maumann likes this.
  8. nickp

nickp Active Member

My favorite Hank Aaron story is that he was allegedly instrumental in getting Bill Watts fired from Turner's World Championship Wrestling in early 1993

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Three things I remember about the 715 video: The Bankamericard sign in the outfield, the two fans running with him as he rounded third, and Craig Sager running around behind home plate.

maumann likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Add Bill Buckner trying to scale the left field fence as Tom House made a running catch of the ball in the bullpen.

matt_garth and maumann like this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That would be great; only a minor reworking of the current tomahawk logo.

Thor and Steel as the mascots

My Top Ten: My Top Ten Hammer Songs

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted