1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Pastorini for Stabler is one of Davis’ worst moves ever; the Snake led the Oilers to the playoffs and I think he was the QB when they should’ve beaten the Steelers on that catch that was called out of bounds right?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Jets have a young top 3 pick qb to trade, lots of 1s, and lots of cap space. getting Watson would be a generational move to make them relevant -- like prime time relevant -- for the first time in years. JUST WHAT THE LEAGUE NEEDS, A NEW YORK STORY.

3. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

That was in Pastorini's last Houston game, the '79 AFC championship. Stabler kept playing for a while and took the Oilers to the '80 playoffs (where they lost to the Raiders) but was clearly on the downslope by then.

4. goalmouth

When Pastorini got hurt, Plunkett took over. So good move.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Concur with you gentlemen - I think the most likely resolution is that all parties manage to come to some kind of agreement, and he doesn't go anywhere, given how contracts and player movement works in the NFL. (Although, again, it's somewhat fucking nuts that the Texans have let it get to this level so that they can keep their chaplain-turned-executive.)

6. goalmouth

Even in his last days with the Saints, Stabler was the most accurate passer I'd seen. Only Kurt Warner was better.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I don't know. I haven't seen too many situations where the player seems to openly think the team's owner is a POS racist old bag and they find a middle ground.

We might be past that point.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

how about we meet at "mildly disagreeable racist who looks good for his age?"

HappyCurmudgeon and sgreenwell like this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When trading a good quarterback I think of my Dad who was born in 1931. A huge Chicago Bars fan. He was born in 1931 and Sid Luckman retired in 1950. With brief exceptions for Billy Wade and Jim McMahon he spent the rest of his life time until he died in 2014 waiting for a quality quarterback.

I hope no one in heaven has told him about the Bears picking Trubisky over Mahomes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

(And Watson.)

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the Panthers poached the Texans' QB coach. The rumor pot has been stirred.

The Panthers don't have that level of draft capital, so that would mean subbing in worthwhile players. Not to mention a new GM who helped John Schneider pull off some go-for-broke-level deals in Seattle before heading to Charlotte.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted