1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Has a quarterback of Watson’s level ever been traded before? I’m guessing probably but can’t remember. They don’t grow on trees. If you don’t have a replacement, don’t you try to work things out with him?

And if you do trade him, don’t you send him to the other conference?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tarkenton?

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Steve Young jumps to mind in terms of talent, but his body of work wasn’t the same.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No one thinks Watson to NOLA? Is Brees going to hold the franchise hostage?

swingline likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pastorini for Stabler was pretty big back in the day. Foles for Sam Bradford more recently. Obviously none of them were at Watson's level at the time of the trade. And then you have the qbs drafted then traded like Elway and Eli (who will probably become the only HOF qb traded for another HOF qb).

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Brees? He was coming off an injured shoulder, right? But still was very good, if not quite as good as Watson has been.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah - My memory of Brees at the time was that he was seen a very good QB with a serious injury. I don't think he was viewed as a franchise QB, although the Chargers did use the tag on him once, to keep him on a one-year deal while Rivers was on the roster too. As late as his third year in the league, he was still losing time to Doug Flutie, which prompted the Chargers to draft Rivers in 2004, which was also the first year Brees made the Pro Bowl. Given how cursed San Diego seems as a franchise at times, I kind of wonder if Brees becomes Hall of Famer if he stuck around, though.

Daunte Culpepper got traded after being unhappy with the Vikings, but even at the time of his trade, he had already suffered several knee injuries. So, I don't think he's comparable to Watson either, but just bringing him up because I was reminded of his existence when looking up Brees, ha.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

NOLA is so far over the cap they would have to cut 15 starters to add Watson. And the Saints actually have a decent QB situation for a franchise losing a HOF'er at the position.

San Francisco doesn't have all the draft capital the Texans might want, but they have the best quarterback to offer in trade and would be the best situation for Watson

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Houston has Watson under contract. I would think the Texans need to try to work things out. They can always trade Watson for a ton of picks and a young quarterback. But to find someone as talented as Wilson might take 50 years.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sonny Jurgensen for Norm Snead was huge. Both starters for their teams.

Daunte Culpepper from Minnesota to Miami.

11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

That's kind of my thought. Some people put Watson in the top 5. Certainly he's top 10. You can't just let that guy go without getting a replacement in return or already having one. If the Jets want him, they better give back Darnold, plus all those No. 1 picks.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I agree Watson is likely not going anywhere.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted