1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Best of luck finding Giants fans who think they have a true successor to Manning in Jones.

2. outofplace

I'm not sure either Bradshaw or Malone were the reason they passed on Marino.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He had the highest rushing average among starters.
    Its not nothing.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's been two years and the team around him is complete shit.

5. outofplace

If the Jets are smart, they don't draft a quarterback that high with Lawrence off the board. Maybe they get in the mix to trade for Watson, but I imagine Darnold would be part of the return in that trade.

I would love to see the Steelers trade for Watson, but I don't think it will happen. I think he ends up with the Dolphins, who have more picks, higher picks, and they can send Tua back in the deal.

6. outofplace

Tell that to Giants fans.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's a perfectly reasonable point.

He's not the answer to anything long-term, though.

sgreenwell and CD Boogie like this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I live in Fairfield County, CT, huge Giant fan base. I do tell them that on the regular.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of get Trubisky / Cutler / Plummer / Winston vibes from Jones. He's impressive enough in short stints that you go, "If only he could consistently play like this!" That's fine if your GM realizes it and moves on when there is a better option available in the draft, but dangerous if you keep him for like 10 years.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The Jets need to go out at get Watson. They have the draft capital without Darnold and then they could gain a pick or two from dealing Darnold to offset some of the cost. They have five 1st round picks in the next three years. Give Houston three of them, get the player that can sure up the QB position for several years and get the new coach a good starting point.

11. outofplace

I heard an interview with Jets GM Joe Douglas yesterday. Most of it was about hiring Saleh and the prospect of Woody Johnson getting more involved in the organization again, but they did try to ask him about Watson without saying his name. Douglas shut it down, saying he can't talk about it other than to say they want the coaching staff in place before they consider big personnel moves.

Of course, the last bit is garbage. If he is worth a damn at his job, he already knows exactly what he would give up for Watson and what his new coach thinks of the idea.

I wonder if the Texans would want Darnold back as part of the deal. Obviously, he wouldn't be the main piece, but they would need a quarterback. I guess that depends if they would want Fields or Wilson at No. 2, a pick they would absolutely have to get to acquire Watson.

The other question is if Watson would accept a trade to the Jets, especially one that includes that pick. He would be stuck with one of the big problems that hurt Darnold, the lack of weapons. Watson has a no-trade clause and there are better destinations from his standpoint. Miami comes to mind.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The Jets have about $75M in cap space. I have a feeling they can get a receiver or two. There will be several on the market.

Miami's weapons certainly aren't anything special. Devante Parker is decent but how much can you sell a future with Nyles Gaskins and Mike Gesicki? I just think they have a coach worth a shit and that made the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted