1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I believe that's on today's list of executive orders.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Or do what I do, and don't bother to cut it at all. I'm shaggy as all hell.

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Do it without a shirt on and then vacuum the floor. That is how I do it with my hubby. (his shirt is off, haha) Also I remove the bathroom rug.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People love saying this. Like, "Let's just take over an industry and make them do whatever we want."

That act should be considered the most unconstitutional thing going. Our government shouldn't be forcing people to work for it.

Regardless, the defense production act is completely unnecessary for the vaccine. Pfizer and Moderna are manufacturing a lot of vaccine. It's our government at the Federal and state levels, that sucks. If you want to invoke some at-a-gunpoint-act, they should be turning it on themselves.

Pfizer developed a vaccine on its own, without the government involved. It ramped up manufacturing on its own. It is to its benefit to manufacturer as much of it as it can and sell the doses. There is plenty of demand out there, obviously, and they profit from creating and selling supply to meet that demand.

Yet, I keep hearing random people say "We need the defense production act." Like that is an answer to a problem that actually exists. No we don't. And obviously, when reality diverges from rhetoric. ... the executive order Biden is signing today isn't about compelling people to produce vaccines they already are. It's about them compelling companies to manufacturer all kinds of things like masks, supplies needed to administer vaccines and do testing. ... but not about vaccines themselves. This idea that Pfizer and Moderna are not trying to pump out as many vaccines as possible is just wrong.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair enough

6. The Big Ragu

Yeah. I do all that. But little hairs get all over the counter around the sink and I am finding them for days after.

lakefront likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If production is OK, then distribution is obviously the bottleneck. Amazon has indicated it would cooperate with the government in shipping, something at which the company is pretty good at. Another shortage is people to give injections. This could be amped up with a training program for volunteers.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He can, but I don’t know how much of a difference it makes for this. Vaccines are extremely finicky to make, requiring highly specialized equipment and highly trained and experienced staff. It’s not something you can just convert your local widget factory into pumping out in a few months.

We were told all along that it would take a couple of months and the approval of more vaccines to get production numbers up to levels people would be happy with, but people are acting surprised that everyone who wants one can’t just call and make an appointment right now

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's the endgame with it, then, not so much in production as it is in asking private companies to help with ramping up distribution. Sounds like some companies (Starbucks, Amazon, etc.) have already offered to help.

10. The Big Ragu

Let's say you own a business. ... And the government comes to you with the defense production act, which in turn forces you to miss fulfillment of customer orders for which you have contracts.

If you are in favor of that kind of government coercion of private business activity. ... are you also in favor of that company being compensated for any lost profits, and the loss of customers who abandon the company as a result? And if so, who pays for that?

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Additionally, converting any manufacturing facility, even one that is ISO 13485, into a GMP facility with automated manufacturing isn't something that happens overnight. The manufacturers of the vials have been ready for months and have sufficient supply and manufacturing capacity. Manufacturing capacity for the vaccine is best left to the pharma OEMs and their contract manufacturing partners.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

sure. We can just print some more money, that doesn’t hurt anyone

Draft saved Draft deleted