1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Proof that the media which played into Trump's tiny hands have no intention of changing. Imagine @washingtonpost
    framing what is clearly a lie as “falsely denied”. It’s all so disgusting. Fuck them.
    EsOJCb5XcAA4Asz.jpeg

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no doubt that it has been mismanaged and that there really is no plan to speak of, at least beyond something simplistic.

At the same time, it's in the self interest of the new people to put out a story like this anonymously to give themselves some cover. So people should keep that in mind.

It's going to be way too easy to point to the shittiness and incompetence of what was in there for the last 4 years. At a certain point -- and I am not saying that point is yet -- the buck has to stop with you. You wanted to be in charge, now just do it. For me. ... they get a handful of stories like this, then they need to just move on. Getting vaccines to people should be the only thing they are focused on. Nobody has the ability to privately go to Pfizer or Moderna to try to do it on their own. Our government put itself in charge of this. If it can't do the job, blaming it on the last guy who did a shitty job isn't any consolation.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is real concern about the plan to make all doses available immediately. One reason to hold back doses is to make sure people who got their first shot get the second one on time. If that doesn't happen, the vaccine isn't effective.

6. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Looking back at the start of this election cycle, I wanted Harris to be the Dem. I’m really glad to see her where she is.
    And in retrospect, Biden was the perfect choice for this moment. Yesterday was a great one for this country.

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, it has been one day!

I kid.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent with this. Don't give Trump oxygen. I don't care to hear about him anymore and like others would just like that whole family to fade into obscurity. It's Biden's administration. We all know how fucked up things are, and it's up on the adults in the room to fix it. I'm confident and hopeful because of the people he's surrounded himself with. It's why I voted for him.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Boo Radley comes out in public more than Barron Trump, at least it seems that way to me.

OscarMadison and swingline like this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Any tweets this morning?

(crickets)

Ahh, a return to normalcy!

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm more confident than I was, but not necessarily because I think they are going to do the most efficient or cost-effective job possible. I expect them to be way more competent. ... and that is about it.

The bar was set so inexplicably low -- you had to be beyond incompetent to have done as poorly as the last administration did -- that things can only get done better moving forward.

What I know is going to bug me is how they will now use those low expectations to overstate the job they likely end up doing. For example, that 100 million doses in 100 days thing sounds so grand to a lot of people. ... but how much of an accomplishment is that really? Pfizer and Moderna have been manufacturing enough doses for us to do hundreds of millions doses in that time. Logisitically, I know it is difficult getting it from there to people's arms, but if they want the pats on the back, they shouldn't just do what any private logistics operation could have done with one hand tied behind its back.

The reality is this: They set expectations low with something that sounds grand to a lot of people because the group of clowns in there for the last year did a ridiculously poor job. ... and when they likely exceed their low-bar promises they will take a lot of bows.

Draft saved Draft deleted