1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 CFB Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 18, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

B2A0D397-B07C-40FB-8FF1-8FAE407FECB8.jpeg This was a helluva online photo gallery to pair with a John Adams column wishing Fulmer good riddance.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Tennessee fires Pruitt, 9 others for 'serious' NCAA issues

"The chancellor said the potential NCAA issues involved Level I and II violations with a number of people and incidents. Plowman said she did not know how many violations or other specifics. NCAA investigators opened a case in December and became more actively involved within the past 10 days.

“It was stunning, the number of people involved ... and the number of incidents," Plowman said. "And so, yes, that was shocking. That’s partly what you see in the level of the actions that were taken today.”

This means Tennessee will not be paying Pruitt a $12.6 million buyout after he went 16-19 in three seasons.

“His termination was for cause, which means no buyout,” Plowman said.

Attorney Michael Lyons of Lyons & Simmons in Dallas issued a statement Monday night saying Pruitt was “extremely disappointed." Lyons said Pruitt didn't have a chance to respond and that his termination letter was leaked immediately as part of “an orchestrated effort to renege” on Pruitt’s contract.

“The timing of the university’s actions and decision appear to be preordained and more about financial convenience and expediency than a fair and complete factual determination by the university. Moreover, it seems clear the recent leaks to the press are indicative of an interest to steer the narrative in a way that is desirable to the university to justify a decision likely made weeks ago,” Lyons said in the statement.

“Coach Pruitt and I look forward to defending any allegation that he has engaged in any NCAA wrongdoing, as well as examining the university’s intent to disparage and destroy coach Pruitt’s reputation in an effort to avoid paying his contractual liquidated damages.”

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Why would Tennessee take Kiffin back?

4. Neutral Corner

I have no reason to think that they would pursue him, or that he'd leave Ole Miss this quickly. I was reporting the preferences I was seeing/hearing.

This has turned into a flaming bag of poo amazingly quickly. Sports radio guys here today are all over how Pruitt's getting flushed due to last season combined with big contract extension regret and the desire to avoid paying a big buyout.. They were also pointing out how the presser yesterday hung all the responsibility and blame on him, since he was the guy at the top, in charge and responsible. Remarkably, Fulmer, one rung higher up the ladder, did not come in for any blame whatsoever, even though they are self reporting multiple level one violations and just fired ten guys from his department.

This appears to be a classic case for "lack of institutional control", and that's as much or more on the AD as the HC. Word is that they were giving out McDonald's bags full of money and making very little attempt to hide it.

They're claiming that there were no talks about Kevin Steele taking over as HC/interim HC, even though he was told about the impending announcement... so he went to UT knowing it was about to blow wide open, resulting in at minimum a lost bowl game (or two) and scholarship restrictions. I don't think that passes the smell test either.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Putting the gut in Farragut.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Rock on the Tennessee campus was painted with "Freeze, Please."
    #SECValues

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Probably. I can't see a fanbase that actually cares letting a dude in his mid-60s with a 9-36 record run their program.

8. Neutral Corner

Only the Vols would think that firing a coach for big recruiting violations and replacing him with Hugh Freeze was viable.

Matt1735 and Liut like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or if, as it appears, the NCAA hammer is about to fall on Tennessee with the might of Thor if these violations are anywhere near as bad as they sound, why would Kiffin want to go there?
    He'd be trading one mid-level SEC job with upside for one with no upside whatsoever.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The last time they had to scramble they ended up with Derrick Dooley. I'm guessing they go interim. Or try and create some public goodwill and hire a black coach.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't very many Power Five head coaches would go there. While Tennessee would pay a lot of money what are the chances of surviving all the losses that will come as a result of probation?

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I don't think the hammer will fall on Tennessee very hard. This seems like them being willing to admit guilt and clean house in return for a little leniency.

Draft saved Draft deleted