1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Damn, he was a promising player who just fell off the map.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The putting on display in the Sony Open is off the charts.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I remember J.C. Snead coming through Richmond for an event YEARS ago and he was bullshitting with some writers and slow play came up. He mentioned two guys he loved playing with and I'll be damned if I can remember their names now and it may keep me awake. Said when he played with them "you'd see three balls in the air at once."

I don't know enough about J.C. Snead to know if he was a slow guy himself but he sure talked like he hated them.

Who was the guy they caught Tom Kite on a live mic talking about with his slow play? "Fine him, fine him, suspend him."

Hermes likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that was Lanny Wadkins and Lee Trevino.

maumann likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Trevino was insane to watch in person. I followed him for nine holes and he played so fast I’d look away for a second and he’d already hit his shot.

swingline and maumann like this.
  6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think the good news is that some of the most popular players among kids: Rory, Rickie, DJ, Brooks, are among the fastest players on the PGA Tour. Kids emulate who they watch. Hopefully, as they go forward with their careers, the slow play issue will resolve itself.

maumann likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty juicy details in Part 2 of the Tiger doc. Just remarkable how he was able to lead all those lives at once. Never mind enabling, his camp had to have some real scheduling pros.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And yet, he got busted on a rookie mistake: not having a bat phone that stayed in the golf bag at all times.

playthrough likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Massive mistake by the Golf Channel. They already have David Feherty under contract.

For a channel that, in addition to the obvious revenue and profit from advertising, wants to grow the game, this was its biggest broadcasting asset. Feherty blurred lines in a good way, attracts casual fans and is great television.

Dumb move.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Concur. Though I suspect Feherty was making a pretty penny and GC was already trying to shed losses with the move to Connecticut. The gambit is, well, it's The Golf Channel. The same people who watched with Feherty will watch post-Feherty. Won't happen, but would like for him to go to back to CBS.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Golf Channel is well on its way to being a giant ball of corporate mediocrity. Outside of "Live From" the majors, what other must-watches do they have? Presuming you're not retooling your swing.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted