1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think by any measurable scale, Trump was the worst in U.S. history. Students always ask my who I think was worst/best, and I don't like to do that because it's hard to measure. I usually just rank on a 1-4 scale.
    Trump has changed that:
    Lost the popular vote twice
    Impeached twice
    Incited an insurrection
    400K Americans dead (not entirely his fault, but under his watch)
    Has more documented lies than can easily be counted
    Gave legitimacy to conspiracy theories
    Gave legitimacy to hate groups
    Threw away our world standing
    Clearly subservient to Russia and the Saudis
    Kleptocracy
    Raided the environment
    Spent about a year of his tenure playing golf

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Putting him only one spot behind Buchanan almost seems unfair to Buchanan.

The true disgrace about the Trump Presidency was the country was in a pretty decent spot at the time of his inauguration. (Kind of like W.) I get it, you kind of need crisis to start making moves, but Trump manufactured all of his.

I'm very pleased Biden is moving on DACA/immigration on Day One. It's long overdue - the issue needs to be settled.

garrow, Mngwa, wicked and 2 others like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What in the absolute fuck?

Why?

wicked and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Trust me, I know that. You are totally right. But there are millions of dumb people who drink the Kool-Aid.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He would have won, I think. I wouldn’t have voted for him. But I think he wins. He was close to winning as it was. Closer than I thought he’d be.

lakefront likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hope when Air Force 1 lifts off to take Trump to Florida tomorrow, that's sort of the watershed. He'll be on the plane, no twitter, no tv cameras, he'll be gone and out of sight.
    Yeah, he'll still have a nuclear football, but I'm pretty sure the military will ignore any orders from him in the next 26 and half hours.

TowelWaver likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’d be five, 10, 20 times more popular than any Biden thread.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HanSenSE, garrow, sgreenwell and 3 others like this.
  9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Entertainment value.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It will be settled, it seems. We’ll have 10-15 million new voters within a few years, and, with chain migration, another 3-5 million more in 5-10 more years.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think Trump was the worst president in U.S. history, although we tend to do hyperbole so often about things in the moment being the "best ever" or "worst ever" (and this is exactly what Trump does to create bullshit) that I think it's worth taking a step back and thinking it through before making the declaration.

The thing about those worst president (and best) lists is that it is partially circumstantial -- as in what happened during the time the person was in office, some of which may have gone wrong with or without him having been president.

I read "the economy" crap with regard to Trump and I shake my head, because he didn't do anything particular (he was an absentee president, a complete bullshit artist and incredibly erratic and insane) that juiced the economy except for a ridiculous tax cut that was more than offset by things, such as a trade war, that fiscally would have more than offset the tax cuts in terms of Keynesian score keeping.

The economy even preceding Trump has acually been almost entirely a function of monetary manipulation -- everything has been debt-fueled, based on the price of money being fixed in a Soviet-style way. Obama benefited from that beyond anything, Trump benefited from it, the stock market has benefited from it, and every debtor on earth has benefited from it, etc. We have an economy living on margin beyond anything the world has ever seen, to the point that we are propping up insolvency all around us. And none of this is because of Donald Trump.

In the case of Obama, he had the sense to stay quiet and let Ben Bernanke and then Janet Yellen do their thing (it is disastrous for the health of the country, but in the short term the destruction of the dollar creates a fantasy that they try to use to claim how great they have been for "the economy"). In the case of Trump, he was Trump -- he turned on Janet Yellen despite her being the best friend he was ever going to have (and him being too much of a moron to understand it), with what she does, and then endlessly criticized his own choice, Jay Powell, who ramped up the asset purchases, interest rate suppression, etc. If you think Trump was good for the economy or your 401(K), you are too clueless to understand that it has been Jay Powell and his immediately predecessors and had nothing to do with Trump. While they were creating the fantasy, at the same time, Trump was doing a string of mercurial things that were reckless and threatening to broad economic growth. He's an idiot.

As far as the worst president ever, though, I think one thing that it is pretty easy to argue is that Trump had the lowest character of anyone to ever hold that office. And that is what makes him by far the worst ever.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.