1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 5, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's fireable just on general principle -- I don't want anyone that dumb working for me.

(One slight caveat -- some of the tweets he's getting dragged for are over his use of the term "nigga," but he appears to be quoting rap lyrics in those. I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't do that, but not sure that falls into "tweets from your past that should haunt you" territory.)

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Eagles are a disaster for the next 2-4 years minimum. I assume McDaniels would be hired on the theory he's a quarterback knower who would somehow figure out how to resurrect Wentz.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Those numbers are likely not random, so I think there's fire behind this smoke (not sure why Atlanta got special treatment, maybe it makes sense in the context).
    I also take some of these with a grain of salt after hearing for a couple of years that racism was the only reason Ted Cotrell wasn't getting a job. There's more to this than meets the eye, for good and bad. Belichek and Torre were retreads, and enough successful coaches come from relative obscurity for me to assess this with an ounce or more of humility and realize that sometimes what looks like a dumb hire is (like Gase) and sometimes it isn't (like Judge).

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

To clarify the Atlanta reference in the USA Today excerpt: the article points out that the Falcons had interviewed four POC for the head coach position and all five candidates for the GM job were POC. It's noteworthy in part because Atlanta has never had a Black coach or GM. (Article here: NFL coaches: Best and worst NFL teams when hiring people of color )

I think it's tricky to write off any singular candidate as evidence of racism. The fact that Bieniemy is still in KC is certainly suspect as hell, but maybe he's an asshole. Maybe he interviews poorly (although the "interviews poorly" thing is fraught with its own issues). So, I wouldn't make this about Bieniemy.

But damn, man, Josh McDaniels is apparently about to get another shot at a time when we have three Black head coaches in the entire league. The owners just plainly do not give a damn.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

McDaniels has ridden the coattails of a HOF coach and a HOF QB his entire career. With a middling QB this season he proved, as he did in Denver, he's nothing special as a coach.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

that he got another shot with a quickness after his mount rushmore of unprofessionalism with the colts makes the mind reel

wicked and PCLoadLetter like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Actually, the damage he did in Denver was quite notable. I was there during his reign of error. Some there nicknamed him McDamage.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wrong. They do give a damn. They give a damn about taking their anger over Trump's loss and projecting it into the search process. Owners have had enough with Black Lives Matter and their lord and savior Trump's defeat.
    Leslie Frazier doesn't get another shot after the way he shut down the Ravens the other night? Absurd.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I will believe Josh McDaniels is the coach of the Eagles when he holds his first practice at camp, and not a day before.

Also add Bruce Arians to the retreads pile. He was kicking around the league forever, and he only got his first NFL head coaching opportunity because his boss got sick.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Count me as a McDaniels to Philly skeptic as well.
    I think if they can find one to take Wentz' contract, they'll move him.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree on McDaniels, but we all would have said the same things about Belichek and how he failed in Cleveland, was unprofessional on his way out of NY and had no people skills. I think lightening is unlikely to strike twice, but you can understand owners hoping to be the one who gets lucky. As for Bienamy, I think that as others have said, teams are nervous that it's Reid's offense. It's always hard to determine who the genius is (Parcells and belichak, Pederson and Reich, Ditka and Ryan etc.) and you don't want to guess wrong on the assistant. If you hire the HC, and it turns out the assistant was the brains, at least you have the CEO. If you hire the assistant and the HC was the reason for the success, you have Matt Patricia.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Since the Rooney Rule went into effect (2003) non-white coaches (20) have gone 17-26 in the playoffs. (14-22 black coaches only).
    Since then, Belichick assistants (10) have gone 2-6 in the playoffs. And they keep getting hired.

Draft saved Draft deleted