1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 12, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't an error. The sideline official is trained to not look for that. His concentration is three-fold: Goal line, ball, sideline. He's not going to get the flag on the helmet because he's -- rightly -- not looking there. The back judge could have helped, but he got blocked out by players. Is it a miss? Yeah, likely. But it's also 22 vs. 7 out there and everyone has different responsibilities. But the field judge nailed what he was trained to do: Covering the goal line, nailing the fumble before the ball crossed the goal line. In real time, it was damn impressive.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I’m not even sure you can say the play was that important. If the play doesn’t happen, or if Higgins scores there, the second half goes differently, Mahomes probably doesn’t get injured and Kansas City wins 45-27 or something. Things could not have played out better for the Browns than they did, and they choked it away offensively, defensively and fron a coaching standpoint.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A penalty was committed and not called. I call that an error. You can call it a miss if you like. But yes, getting the fumble call right in real-time was good work.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty much what Steratore said during the broadcast, and can't argue. Gotta get that fumble call right.

But if the league is serious about helmet hits, they should be reviewable.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I think the fumble out of the end zone thing is more prevalent these days because I don't think nearly as many ballcarriers knew 10-20 years ago knew the rule and that diving for the pylon and touching it with the ball was a score. I think many more guys tried to get to the corner standing up, for better or for worse. Kind of like how hurdling was much rarer. Seems like the new "smart" rule thing is to receive a kickoff in the corner with a foot out of bounds, which makes the kick out of bounds and vastly improves your field position. I'm pretty sure I've seen that at least twice this year.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My view of the helmet to helmet hit is call the most egregious ones, the obvious ones but don’t got frame by frame to have zero tolerance. That’s too exacting. Frankly I’d you want protection you need to change the helmets like NASCAR did just in a different way obviously. It’s possible.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NASCAR didn’t change the helmets, other than to make full-face helmets mandatory rather than optional. The HANS device was the big change.

9. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Reason 2345 why he is a dummy:

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why not postpone the NFC game until April so winter won't be so unkind to Brady's old bones while we're at it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's what I meant. Thanks.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What was difficult about the fumble call?

Draft saved Draft deleted