1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Alma-
    Are you not obsessed with the virus? Why would I not be obsessed with a thing that has dramatically altered my lifestyle?

Travis is not strong enough of a personality or writer to carry the show. That's all I know of him other than pieces posted and podcasts linked.
    I want to say I saw him long ago around the Titans but I can't verify that, nor do I care.

Whatever his faults, he's under no obligation to share profits with Whitlock of a thing he built. Whitlock wanted 'equity.' Whitlock was probably told to buzz off.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Absolutely I'm interested in the virus. And I have no choice with Trump, the way the man and his idiotic followers demand and receive space in the hearts and minds of the American media. That's not changing, BTW. Biden will do a ton in his first 100 days that will drastically change America - for better, worse, we'll see - and it'll be covered at a fraction of what Trump will.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

A slight tack to the center will do no harm. It will be good for everyone, even the idiots who don't know any better.

I am interested to see how the historiography of the virus unfolds. Even Trump went from 'hoax' to 'invisible enemy' to 'plague' in record speed.

All he had to do was shut up and play the boss. Just play it. He couldn't do it.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Back at the beginning of this thread, I said I enjoyed reading Jason Whitlock's columns because they were entertaining and because when I disagreed with the points he was making - - about half the time - - his writing and his reasoning made me think about my positions on those issues. That continued through his writings at Outkick and I will be looking for wherever he re-surfaces now.

I don't know if I would call Whitlock an "obsession" here but I will point out that the title of this thread declared him irrelevant (stopped mattering to be exact) about 4 months ago; and yet, here we are commenting about him and his writings and his place in the sportswriting cosmos.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I just did a board search for "Clay Trumpist." 67 hits. Four pages of hits for the guy under one specific stupid nickname.

EDIT: Make it 68. Tennessee firing its football coach just got a "Wonder what Clay Trumpist thinks of this."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had the disgraced former Chargers team doctor on today to talk about Mahomes injury. It was helpful to get a decent understanding of the concussion protocol - but Travis seems to go out of his way to welcome with open arms potential guests who can not get booked anywhere else. If he wasn't getting money from sports betting sponsors, I'm sure he'd do a segment on the "Fix of the Week" (It's RIGGED!")

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

THE FIX IS IN!
    with Carl Kolchak

Jerry-atric likes this.
  8. 3_Octave_Fart

Dan-
    The one podcast I heard the guy was self-congratulatory the whole way in ("only at Outkick!!!").
    That doesn't happen on podcasts I listen to so I quickly located the [X] in the upper corner.
    I'm sure it's great for SEC bros- not everyone's fancy.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is the general consensus that Jason sucks or that he's talented but unfocused, lazy and/or undisciplined?

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Talented. He was often worth reading in his KC Star days. But the more often he became a free agent, the more often he felt compelled to be insane for the sake of attention. Saying the insurrection at the Capitol wasn't that big a deal is truly despicable.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He was an OK sportswriter.

As he had a chance to broaden his audience he chose to focus on his brand of respectability politics -- that everything would be fine for Black people if they'd just pull up their pants and stop listening to that hippity-hop music. And that slashed the audience almost immediately.

There are people who insist he was a wonderful writer. I never saw anything approaching greatness. He tried to parlay what he had into something bigger and he simply wasn't up to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted