1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card weekend (and Black Monday) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

If I’m the Texans I would ask for at least Stafford and No. 7
    Ideally, Stafford would be traded for picks, not with them

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, i know, you really can't make straight-up deals unless the contracts match almost perfectly. You have to throw in side guys and draft picks to get the cap figures into the ballpark.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please tell me you don't actually think Stafford is anywhere close to Watson in value. Your posts make it seem like you actually think that.

JC likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, of course not. But if the Texans are in a situation they think they need to move Watson, Stafford might be a piece they'd like to get in the return package. They wouldn't just be staring down a long dark road hoping someday maybe they could find a quarterback.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll be pretty surprised if Watson goes anywhere. He doesn't have a lot of leverage here.

Houston is in a tricky spot on a number of levels. For one, it's going to be very, very hard to get anything close to equal value for Watson. Two, the previous management would have traded him for a 3rd round pick and a 3rd string running back, so the pressure is on the new management not to be completely incompetent in the way they handle this.

Third, of course, is that current Texans management does appear to be wildly incompetent, so getting anything done will be an uphill battle. First they'll have to make a new coaching hire, a task that will be made difficult by the fact that anyone with a brain and/or any other options will not accept the Texans job.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, he has the leverage of being an excellent player. If healthy, he has enough value to justify trading for, unless it's some really long layoff. The rules might have changed from the days of the Patriots holdouts, but do players still get credit for a year of service time by playing half a year? If he decides not to play, yeah, he doesn't get paid, but it's also $39M of dead salary for the Texans.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking that if Watson is moved it would be in exchange for a legit-ish starting QB.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No one's trading one of the best young QBs in football for "legit-ish."

JC likes this.
  9. DanOregon

And you'd think no one would be dumb enough to alienate your team's most high profile players - but the Texans managed to do it.

Easterby's rise in the organization (and the franchise's steady descent) reminds me of Jeff Zucker's rise at NBC. Kind of spellbinding and mystifying.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  10. DanOregon

Okay, this is kind of a weird question - but how do these coaching searches work? Do coaches send in resumes? Let a connection within the organization know they'd like to be considered? Have their agent make the contact? Have their head coach make the overture? I realize college coaches all use the headhunter services so everything is on the down low and word doesn't get out that they are interested in a particular job without hurting recruiting. But the pros are different right?

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I assume that the teams let the agents know when they are interested in someone.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And search firms.

This is like tax season for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted