1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 CFB Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 18, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That has the appearance of a solid hire. It certainly isn't hiring a retread on the way down. Good for them.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Knoxville blows up:

Not in the tweet: Fulmer retiring so his successor can choose the next coach.

Story says there are NCAA violations on his watch, and that the school doesn’t have to pay his buyout.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fire up Yakkity Sax!

873D0D34-87AE-49B2-9027-C7A8480DAE58.jpeg

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thank god.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is amazing. The termination letter says, "Your actions are likely to result in major sanctions" or something like that.
    Will they admit to major infractions and self-impose meaningful penalties? I'm cynical enough to doubt that. But nobody admits to wrongdoing these days. They, like Trumpists, dig in their heels and fight.
    I have suspected for a while that one of the impacts of COVID will be that the NCAA stands down and grants amnesty in every pending major case, citing the unprecedented hit that athletics departments have taken because of the virus.
    Maybe this is Tennessee's play. They can admit to violations, whack Pruitt for cause and escape real punishment. I have no idea. But I have to wonder if something's up when I see a school admit that it likely deserves major punishment.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can't have it both ways. Either admit to major violations, take your medicine - that is, IF Pruitt committed the infractions - or try to fight no wrongdoing and pay the man $12 million.

Your call, Knoxville. That is, after a search firm recommends the successor to Phil Fulmer.

Two orange messes in one week. And the bigger one is on the way to being solved in the next few days. Have fun, Tennessee.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Firing for cause = kiss that $12.6M buyout and remaining salary per the contract buh-bye.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. But that's also admitted to major violations, which will probably mean scholarship reductions, no bowls for a season or two and the next coach and his staff has an even bigger job ahead.

That's a fun way to entice a new AD and football coach and staff, dontchathink?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fulmer is letting his successor pick the new coach. Fun, fun, fun.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that the Tennessee athletic department is far more dysfunctional than the Trump White House.

Draft saved Draft deleted