1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card weekend (and Black Monday) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 4, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Why trade a QB on a rookie contract? I know Watson is great, but he’s set to make a big number for several years. I don’t know enough about the salary cap to grasp these things. Genuinely curious.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Watson is a sure thing. Tagovailoa is not, but I could see the Texans asking for him as part of the return if they trade Watson.

JC likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suppose you could throw Matt Stafford into hypothetical trade talks for Watson, as in a trade which could in theory work for most parties involved.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you believe in Tua, you don’t, I not a big Tua fan and think Watson is one of the best QB’s in football.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

At this point in his career, you hope Tua can do what Watson has already done.

JC likes this.
  6. Starman

If I'm the Texans, I certainly wouldn't want to trade Watson straight up for Stafford, today, thinking about the next decade. But if you're working under circumstances in which Watson wants out, a deal including Stafford would give you something to work with on the other side of the deal.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

well, sure. Detroit would take that.

Watson can veto any trade and simultaneously demand one.

Houston is in a rough spot. Ownership can make him play, I suppose, but he can refuse to, and, media landscape as it is, the Texans will be villainized for not doing what he wants.

8. Starman

Although of course the Lions have the image of an utter wasteland, Watson could look at it from the standpoint he could be the marquee player of the new regime-- presumably whatever new coach they hire would be married to him for the foreseeable future.
    Plus his contract could be written so there was some kind of escape hatch for Watson in, say, three or four seasons if things look utterly hopeless. If by that time the Lions are getting good, he's the main man.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, at least the Saints didn't lose on the last play of the game this time.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the deal would be straight up. Watson doesn't even have a huge salary next year. It is 2022 that the big cap hits would start coming for a new team.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who said straight up? That’s insane.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That’s one way to spin it.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted