1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

there was going to be very little market for him at that price with his age and on this economic climate and apparently he wasn’t willing to do a shorter deal like three for 60 million to get that for an average

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

i thought it would be a more-incentive based contract but boy that could still be a steal

3. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

i imagine it will be. Apparently, he looked amazing during his showcase for teams.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

5. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

How ridiculous is it that it's Jan. 17 and nobody knows if there will be a designated hitter in both leagues or how many teams are making the postseason.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not, apparently, The Onion.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Howard Terminal is a logistical and environmental disaster. Will never be built. And the A's and the politicians will, after nearly two decades of denial, will see that the current Coliseum site is perfect. Stewart's devotion to improving his hometown is well-known.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Let's see what he can do without a $179,000,000 payroll.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You can have a big payroll and do a completely shit job with it, you know. Ask the Angels about their past. Ask Phillies fans (I'm one).

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

True but there is a much larger margin for error.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

But when you spend a lot of money and fuck up, by definition you are making much bigger errors in judgment. It's not like spending 10 million on a middle reliever who's only worth five. It's making nine figure mistakes on superstars who aren't.

Hermes likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see you have been taking your talking points from Cashman, who has whined in the past that his job is harder than small-market general managers. Bullshit. It's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted