1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 12, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. AFC was early last year.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It was not cold. There was no snow on the field. It was not raining. No one had any trouble with their footing. Yes, it was windy. It's windy there in September, too.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think one of Warren Sharp's things is that wind secretly effects games more than things like rain and snow, because you can't reliably run deep routes with wind gusts. Whereas if it's snowy or rainy but not really windy, it's an advantage for the offense - harder for the defensive players to get traction to react to receivers running routes. ETA: Here is a link to an article on it, although it's mostly about wind, so maybe I'm misremembering about the effects of snow. It does have a clear effect on passing, kicking and punting accuracy.

That being said... I do think the Bills were clearly the better team.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Wind affects every outdoor sport more than other factors, from Buffalo all NFL season (windiest games I ever covered were there) to the wind blowing out or in at Wrigley and Fenway, to the PGA Tour (it's the one factor those guys can't handle much better than we hackers). OTOH, I've covered a good many snow games, some quite famous, like the Tuck Rule game and the Snowplow Game. The latter was the only one where the snow itself had a dominant effect on play, due to the freakish snow squall nature of the storm and Sullivan Stadium's Dollar Store artificial turf, which was slippery on sunny days.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

How many field goals were missed -- including two by the most accurate kicker in NFL history? How many punts got knocked down by the wind? Did you see how many passes down the field were way off the mark?

Do you really think the wind had no effect on the game?

JC likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is an insane conversation. Wind is weather.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It’s not the wind, it’s the humidity.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Of course it impacted the game. I said that right from the start. And it made for what I consider a "real" football game, in real conditions, not in artificial, antiseptic dome conditions.

"Playoff football in the elements is real football, so much better than dome playoff football. The weather is a factor."

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The missed kicks were certainly a big part of the game. Tucker almost always represents an advantage for the Ravens, and losing those six points certainly hurt in a game that was close until the pick-six. That said, you would have thought the wind would favor the Ravens, because they rely so heavily on the running game while the Bills are far more reliant on passing, including deep throws.

The Bills forced Jackson to try to beat them with his arm. Once again, he showed that he can't do that against good opponents.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Wind ruins all sports except sailing.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The best kicker of all time routinely misses 2 field goals in a game.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 144 games in his career, Tucker has missed 30 field goals. One about every five games.

Draft saved Draft deleted