1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I remember once at Sawgrass he was playing with Kevin Na, who was in the full throes of his OCD and couldn’t pull the trigger. Cabrera got very animated, waving his arms and begging a rules official for some help.

I’ll always side with the fast guy. Rory Sabbatini may be a knob, but walking out on Ben Crane was a great moment. The fact that it pissed of Azinger just made it greater.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watch this, if you dare.

Ben Crane's Pre-Shot Routine - YouTube

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is he the last major champion to smoke on the course? That's just old-school awesomeness. I remember watching the pros when they came through town when I was a kid and you'd have Calvin Peete, Fuzzy and a dozen other guys burning heaters, plus even more caddies.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I take photos at our events, and at one last fall, a player came up to me ... while he was in the middle of the fairway, mind you ... and asked, "how fucking long did you have to wait to get a photo of (name redacted) hitting his tee shot?" The slow players have been identified, and the others absolutely hate them. Two players in particular wondered why they kept getting placed in the final grouping of the day, without fail. Because that way they won't hold the entire damn course up.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I seem to recall Darren Clarke burning through heaters all the time.....Miguel Angel Jimenez still does.
    Abraham Ancer's caddy was sucking them down like candy at Augusta a couple months ago.

7. playthrough

Ah yeah, should have remembered Clarke.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When a wrote a story about caddies by actually caddying in two pro-ams in Greensboro some years back, my guy got paired with Neal Lancaster, who smoked like a chimney the entire time. Got Bernhard Langer for the Wednesday pro-am, and that was crazy fun. Can always tell people that I walked 18 holes with a Masters champion. And he had some great stories.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nick Price. Daly, obviously. Payne Stewart. The only guys I know of who smoke openly now are journeymen: Frank Lickliter and Vince Covello

11. playthrough

One of my more random stories from a few years of working at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was catching up with Nick Price while he was smoking outside the media center. He was there rooting for a friend in, of all things, an air race.

12. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

I was at a Walker Cup when Chris Riley was on the U.S. team. Chris might be the fastest professional I've ever seen. At that Walker Cup, the ball was in the air with the first-tee announcer between "Chris" and "Riley."

Draft saved Draft deleted