1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Maricopa County votes finally came in?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Montana and Montana State opt out of Big Sky Conference's spring football season:

Montana Schools to Play Modified Spring Football Season - University of Montana Athletics

Looks like the Griz, Bobcats and Portland State all will scrap a spring conference slate in favor of a more traditional spring football schedule, with two nonconference scrimmages.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I love FCS football. I covered it for close to 20 years. I have zero interest in this bastardized season that, if possible, will deserve more of an asterisk than the FBS season. Just punt until next year.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon was supposed to start vaxing teachers and those 65+ on Jan. 23, thanks to an increase in doses promised by Azar and the Trump administration.

Now, he says the reserve is exhausted, and no additional doses will be distributed. So, no vax for me just yet.

Azar lied again. I'm shocked. These people can't leave fast enough. Totally incompetent.

RickStain likes this.
  5. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

These people could mess up butter on a slice of bread. They'd probably slice their hand open with the butter knife.

One reason why you're hearing nothing from the NFL on the timing of the combine, draft and any offseason work is that they are waiting on Biden and his team to take control. Like the rest of us, the league threw its hands up on expecting anything competent re: COVID-19 from the Trump administration ages ago.

micropolitan guy and Tighthead like this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The dominoes are going to start falling. Things are much worse now than they were over the summer.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Leaves four out in the Big Sky. Sac State opted out earlier. If there's a full fall season, they open at Cal.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Southern Utah announced it's leaving the conference next year and headed to -- the WAC, which is bringing back football.

WAC Announces Expansion, Plans to Reinstate Football

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I have doubts regarding this “vaccine.”

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

TigerVols and MileHigh like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, NMSU dropping down to FCS? It's not clear from this story, but since it's essentially blackballed from the Mt. West by UNM that's probably the best way for them to go.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, they're dropping down. The right move. No chance they were getting into the Mountain West.

Interesting that Southern Utah is leaving the Big Sky after eight years, but makes sense to align with Dixie State (an hour down the road in St. George) and Utah Valley (three hours up the road in Orem).

Some rumblings that Grand Canyon might launch a football program.

Don't know what's going to happen with the Southland Conference after this raid.

Draft saved Draft deleted