1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Thats a great story

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Belichick's the toughest, hardest-nosed coach imaginable, but he's also the guy who let Doug Flutie drop kick a field goal in Flutie's last game. Once your time is past with him, he loves you. See the NFL 100 Greatest Shows for how he talks about Brady and Gronk knowing they're gone.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As Bieniemy still sits with the Chiefs.

Even now as he is age 51, I wonder how much the arrests as a younger man and his time playing (and coaching) in the Rapey Buffaloes Era in Boulder will keep owners away.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I guess that's all for Darnold.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I always admired Belichick for getting up at 4:30 A.M. or so to drive to Joel Buchsbaum's funeral in Brooklyn. Buchsbaum was the first draft guru and wrote much of the old Pro Football Weekly. He was a social recluse who lived in an apartment in Brooklyn next to his mother. Bob Costas said a Joel Buchsbaum sighting was like a Bigfoot siting, they were so rare. He had a disease that made it very difficult to eat and died at 48. I thought Belichicj taking the time to drive from Boston and attend the funeral was a very kind action.

I learned this from a feature Juliet Marcur did for the Dallas Morning News. I was unsuccessful in finding a link but it was one of the best features I ever read.

7. LanceyHoward

I wonder how much the two years Bieniemy spent as the OC at Colorado during the disastrous Jon Embree regime ahs hurt his job search. I think Colorado is the only placee Bieniemy has called plays. The offense his second season was one of the worst in the NCAA.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

On the contrary. If anything, it sounds as if Sam Darnold gets one more season.

Draft DeVonta Smith at No. 2. Either an offensive tackle or a defensive stud with the second first-round pick. Group Smith with Jamison Crowder and Braxton Berrios.

9. LanceyHoward

David Halberstam wrote Belichick felt he had to be tough and hard nosed because he had been such a mediocre football player at Wesleyan. Because Belichick's lack of playing success the only way to gain the players respect was to be stern.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is also the thinking in the NFL that if you're not the "Hot, young, offensive genius" (read white) or haven't been hired after a couple of times through the interviewing cycle, other teams will figure there is something wrong with you. How many years did Dungy have to wait for his shot? I don't know if its GMs who need a coach who has less experience in the league than they do or owners who want the coach to be "a star" or at least look like one - but there are some coaches in the league that aren't worthy.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

In the conservative world of football, the term "genius" is almost exclusively applied to offensive innovators. Great defensive coordinators are said to be tough taskmasters. So in that conservative world, in which most teams are owned by Trumpists, the "genius" position can't be handed to a Black assistant because the Black assistant does not fit the prototype role that plays out in the Trumpist imagination. So Black coaches get pigeonholed as defensive people.
    Bieniemy may get to the point where he has to take the first offer that comes his way, and that's not a good place to be.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Discuss away. Meyer is not among the worst. He was an ass to Jeremy Fowler, he shouldn’t have been, but, historically, he has not, in my view, been particularly poor in the media arena.

Jim Harbaugh is awful. Strange, aloof, occasionally incredulous at the most obvious questions.

What Meyer can be is a real prick to his staff. He tends to hire pricks who can handle it - Mullen, etc.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted