1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 5, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was listening to sports talk last week, don't remember which show, but I think the guest was Daniel Jeremiah, who has experience as a college scout and he said the problem with hiring Patriots people for jobs is almost all of them know no other way to operate. They haven't worked anywhere else to compare, or contrast - kind of like someone who spends all of their life in one town. The other is that Belichick doesn't include that many people in the room on draft day. So as great as having "Patriots" on your resume is, it probably won't provide as much experience as stints with a couple of lousy teams. It also makes me wonder why Belichick doesn't tend to hire people from other teams. Sure you want to mold your assistants to your liking, but wouldn't you want a greater awareness of what other teams are doing?

Liut and Alma like this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

For 20 years it didn't matter what other teams were doing.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good point.

Notably, Mike Vrabel - who I think is a good coach - was a former player who coached several places before becoming the boss of the Titans. He never coached for Belichick.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I object to chuckle. Matt Nagy doesn't seem like he's laughed a day in his life.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're misreading Meyer if you think he's unusually boorish on his players.

He's not. His lunatic mentor, Earle Bruce, was. And of course Woody Hayes, a poorly adjusted human being on top of other things, was. Meyer's not. At least not like that.

Meyer's hard on his coaches. Very hard. Hard on everyone else in the building, too. And himself.

Florida fell apart because he let too many guys act however they pleased in public, assuming (correctly) St. Tebow would cover a multitude of sins.

With Meyer the bigger issue will be curing him of his sweet tooth for running his QBs into the earth with 24 read options.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For 20 years he had Tom Brady (too soon?) Belichick was 5-13 before Brady's first start - and 7-9 since his last start.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do.

Also: Urban Meyer, not liking the media? You mean the guy who sat down for profiles with the NYT and Wright Thompson?

He likes the media. He's in the media now - and is pretty good at it.

Liut likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why it didn't matter was not the question. You asked why he wouldn't want a greater awareness of what other teams are doing. The answer is for 20 years it didn't matter what other teams were doing. The Patriots dominated anyway.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Some DCs have the polish and mind for HC, and that'll increasingly be the case as more DCs are like Brian Flores and Jeff Hafley (at BC) and less emotional/hotheaded.

Tomlin probably does it better than anyone does, the emotional thing, but his teams hit a wall.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The NYT and Wright Thompson and Fox Sports advance his agenda. He treats his beat guys like shit. Or doesn't acknowledge their existence beyond the bare minimum.

Liut and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    Allowing the national types to have an audience with him is easy and generally beneficial.

Mngwa likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The master of treating reporters differently was Bill Parcells. When he was with the Pats, he'd give the beat guys crumbs, we columnists like a slice of bread once a month, but when New York guys came up, it was like old home week and he'd talk to them without hesitation. Then he went to the Jets, and when the late Mike Madden of the Globe and I went down to Hofstra to camp, it was just the reverse. He wouldn't tell the NY guys a thing, but when Doggie and I wanted to talk about Super Bowl 36 or his evaluation of the Pats, he talked until we ran out of questions. I kind of had to admire his complete shamelessness.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted