1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 5, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I hate my fucking team.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember how much Saban disliked coaching in the NFL? Urban, who tarnishes his reputation every time he comes back from life altering health issues, will not fare well in the professional ranks for the same reason. He has only ever coached college men over whom he ruled absolutely. One does not rule professional football players.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He’ll suffer more losses in 2021 than he suffered in his entire Ohio State tenure.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If he thought coaching a college team was stressful and bad for his heart, think what being coach, gm and president is gonna do.
    He may not survive Draft Night.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

At least your team is willing to change. The McCaskeys are leaving the same chucklefucks in charge for another year.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bill Belichick came from the defensive side. So did Mike Tomlin, Sean McDermott, and Mike Vrabel. John Harbaugh primarily coached special teams in the NFL, then had one season as a defensive backs coach before the Ravens hired him as their head coach. They will do it because some of the better coaches currently in the league have that background. I get wanting to be able to hire and keep the great offensive mind might require making the guy a head coach, but so much of head coaching is different from what coordinators and other assistants do.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really hope Jax doesn't get locked in to something like a seven or eight year deal - or if they do, that there is a two or three year "out" clause that limits the damage. Knowing Meyer though, if it's not working he'll bolt for a college job. He's got the cash, I think he's most worried about his coaching rep.
    Kinda weird to realize that Khan is the only owner who actually bought his team rather than inherit it. But I guess the AFC West is entirely inherited.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I bet he’ll follow the Spurrier route, take the money go through the experience and say “I did it.”

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The only way it works for Urban is if he hires a bunch of NFL guys as his assistants.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I thought Shad Khan was smarter than this. Or maybe it's self-loathing.

Agreed. This is but one of the reasons this doesn't look good.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

An NFL coach also doesn't rule the media. Locker rooms are open. Players must make themselves available. He is required to be available more than once a week and after games, which is all he did in college. He also has to tell something close to the truth on injuries.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A Jacksonville radio guy and noted Jags/Gators homer said the NFL will actually be less stress for Meyer because he'll know 1-2 losses won't kill an entire season, that he could win a division at 9-7 or 10-6, or make the playoffs at 8-8. Not sure I buy that.

Draft saved Draft deleted