1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowls/playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 21, 2020.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Holding the game on Monday is a terrible idea to start with. You spend the entire season with games on Saturday and then hold the biggest one on a Monday. The CFB fans wheelhouse for viewership is between 3:30 and 7:30 EST. Put it on Saturday at 3:30 or 7 p.m.

Mngwa likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You think they ain’t already watching Monday Night Football?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would be better if it was the Thursday leading into a playoff weekend, than the Monday coming out of one.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Then you're going up against NFL playoffs. I agree with pushing it back to the next Thursday. I know I was exhausted after six playoff games. Oh, the the national title game on Monday, though I had zero interest in it. I watched maybe a quarter.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

College hoops plays its title game on a Monday . . . after playing no other tournament games on that day.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Surprised they haven't moved that to a Thursday-Sunday or Thursday-Saturday event.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As long as the NFL has all the January Saturdays and Sundays, colleges have only two options. 1. Title game on Monday as now. 2. Move the thing back so that title game is New Year's or the day after. This year that was impossible for obvious reasons.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah... I really don't think the reason the ratings were down is that they held the championship game on a Monday... the same night they always have it.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Agreed. I really do think some of it is the schedule specific to this year. By that, I mean the teams weren't on hand for mass media availability for several days in advance. Not as much hype generated.
    Something else: Months ago, when sports were getting the re-start, many assumed we'd be so happy to get sports back that we'd watch anything. But as time has gone on and there are still few to zero fans in the stands, viewers are getting tired of being reminded visually and otherwise that these times are still perilous. That backdrop gives viewers the justifiable belief that these games this year just don't matter as much.

FileNotFound and PCLoadLetter like this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And on top of that, people just checked out on this season early on. It was a ridiculous year. I fully understand why they played it, but I just didn't care about it on any level -- and the championship game wasn't going to change that.

TigerVols likes this.
  11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Up until this year they had the option of playing the damn thing at noon or 1 on Saturday, which I think would've been wonderful or 8 p.m. on Sunday. And they could've probably tried both depending on which side of the country the game was played. Either are better than the Monday slot. Obviously that's not the only reason, but I do believe that football fatigue sets in and after watching six pro games on the weekend there isn't that same excitement from the casual fan to watch college kids on a Monday.

Heck I'm more excited to watch FCS after the Super Bowl than I was to watch the CFP game Monday.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted