1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 12, 2021.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He had a point there.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We all know Wilt had a thing about certain triangles.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Batman and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm basically taking all sports ratings as an outlier until the pandemic is under control and we're allowed out freely again. There's so many things at work in why ratings are down. It's not as simple as "we're all at home, why aren't we watching?"

Gutter likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think its a very bad sign for all these sports. Very bad. People's habits change. Fuck, at one time in this country, when people like @Michael_ Gee was still alive, horse racing and boxing were the #1 sports in this country.

I also think, considering these woeful (compared to prior year) wildcard numbers are STILL THE MOST WATCHED EVENT ON TV SINCE THE SUPER BOWL, the NFL can best weather the storm out of any league.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agreed on both counts. People have found other things to do other than spend their time on watching sports non-stop. I'm as avid as they come and I pick and choose my spots any more. If it's not one of my teams playing, I tend to care a lot less.

There has been a lot written about the fact that Gen Z does not care about sports. The loss of being able to actually attend events exacerbates that, because their only real interest in sports was as a vehicle for social interaction. That's a gigantic problem for everyone.

I'm on the other side working in golf ... we had a gigantic surge in play and interest last year. How do we keep those people outside on the course once things go back to normal (whatever that may be)?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know you live on the east coast. I'm a casual golfer, maybe three times a month, and in the LA suburbs where I live, its crazy how popular golf is this year.

I don't play country clubs, I play munis. The hidden gem in pandemic golf is that they have spread out the tee times a bit more. So there is less goddamn waiting compared to when they were sending them out every 8 minutes or whatever it was prior.

Cosmo and I Should Coco like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're having problems scheduling events because the courses we usually hold events at are so busy that they don't want to give up the business. Rounds statewide were up close to 40 percent last year.

On the subject of golf, any kvetching on golf ratings -- outside of majors -- is silly. Good lord, I make my living in this sport and I didn't watch a second of last week's event. The Sentry Tournament of Champions is never going to draw eyeballs, except for the diehard golf sickos and nerds.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Behold the power of sports’ most dedicated (and possibly pathetic) fanbase(s).

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Another 66-59 game?

NFL Throwback: Mahomes-Mayfield college shootout from 2016

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Same thing here in Massachusetts. Courses on the Cape all had at least 33 percent increases in rounds played. And that's with not being allowed to open until May.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think they’ll be fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted