1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Losing the house the last two cycles could be chalked up to ordinary anti-president cycling. But Trump very specifically cost them the Senate this cycle. If he puts even a modest effort into helping anyone but himself; they probably don’t lose both Georgia seats.

Trump plans on firing up his 2024 campaign about three seconds after leaving office, and absolutely no one in the gop who isn’t Trump wants the 2022 senate races to be a referendum on Trump.

The political calculus on it just makes sense.

Not to mention, Republican senators are mostly not stupid, and they understand that a week ago Trump literally sent an angry mob to kill them. They were out for congressional blood and they almost got it, and they weren’t planning checking party affiliation before pulling the trigger.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump has been a huge pain in McConnell's ass. He's used to telling Reps and Senators what the party line is and making them toe it. As we know, Trump can set a party line and change it three times before sundown and he cares nothing about someone else's. McConnell has gotten his tax cuts and he made the judge candidate list for Trump. He's extracted the maximum in exchange for all his grief, and nothing will please him more than to have an excuse shove Trump's ice floe out to sea. He will sanctimoniously say that he did it for the good of the party, and that much will be true.

OTOH, we have all counted Trump as left for dead before, and he worms out of it. If he somehow comes back from this he'll be gunning for the Turtle.

OscarMadison and RickStain like this.
  3. RickStain

this could easily also be some classic Washington ju jitsu. Leak to the press about how reasonable you plan on being, then find an excuse to blow it up and blame the other side.

My cautious optimism is overweighted on the cautious side about this.

tapintoamerica and TowelWaver like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, there's a dozen ways this entire thing could fly apart like a disintegrating engine. There's a lot of potential for grief to left, right, and center. I confess a certain schadenfreude as I watch both Trump and McConnell squirm, though.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I wonder how many"good guys" are going to retweet Rep. Qanon's trash before it's coinsidered fully amplified...

6. RickStain

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Our HOA has a rule that political stuff has to come down in 48 hours but I still flip off a house I pass on my daily walk that had multiple Trump flags and signs.

OscarMadison and UNCGrad like this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Moreover, I suspect that Mitch sees a chance to become leader of the Republicans. If Trump is prosecuted and convicted, can he run the party and be the kingmaker he envisions himself from behind bars? If he flees, can he do it from elsewhere?

We also know that his reputation has taken a hit based on the number of Republicans who have been carrying his water who finally saw the incident on the Capitol as a bridge too far (too little, too late but we don't get to determine when they've finally seen enough).

Rest assured that McConnell has analyzed the chess board and figured out his next move even if Trump somehow wiggles out of this one. Obviously, I and plenty of others on here hope not and that the Tangerine Tantrum is impeached - again - then prosecuted and convicted, but he has been tougher to snuff out than kudzu. Mitch already knows his escape hatch if the Subhuman Pile of Crime somehow sidesteps all of this.

TowelWaver and Driftwood like this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That David Lewis asshole from Dunn is the guy who needs his ass kicked. He's no longer a state legislator because he pleaded guilty to federal bank charges last year, but every time I drive through there I hope to catch him in a crosswalk. I'll buzz him like Maverick and Goose.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Here's the funny part. The GOP Platform for the next 3+ years is to support Trump:

RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda;
    RESOLVED, That the 2020 Republican National Convention will adjourn without adopting a new platform until the 2024 Republican National Convention;

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.