1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowls/playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I didn't watch much of the game but when I did I watched the Coaches Film Room and man is that fantastic.

If I was an AD looking to hire a new FB coach, I think I'd round up 2-3 recent ex-coaches and sit them in a room with my preferred candidate or two. Then, I'd make them watch a game together and watch how my candidate describes what he's seeing in comparison with the ringers. Does he know the ins-and-outs of the modern game?

Clawson and Hugh Freeze both clearly do...you could tell they actually live and breath Xs and Os on both sides of the ball. I just couldn't imagine recent nightmares from my past (ahem, Butch Jones and Derek Dooley) coming across as anything but salesmen in that room.

Come to think of it, this is such a damn fine idea I might start a coach hiring firm to sell my idea to ADs. Just the idea of it would make Jimmy Sexton pee his pants.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Start with there being no other pro teams in the state.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nick Saban.. the man who destroyed college football.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've always thought it would be cool for Saban to go back to Kent State if/after he got tired of all the BS that must accompany the Alabama job.

But then again, maybe if you're as good as Saban, there's no BS, because he can do whatever he wants and no one can tell him no.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Hilarious. Reminds me of a time when production (about 70 miles away) called one of my guys and asked about page flow. The reply was, "It's 11 o'clock here. What time is it there?'

6. Neutral Corner

He's done that since day one. One of the very first things Saban did when he was hired was to rid the program of all the boosters, hangers on, Friends of whover, all the weeds and deadwood that had grown around the program over the years. He didn't know who they were, and he didn't care. Out you go. If we want you back here we'll get in touch. It was indiscriminate - from millionaires to the random who shows up to let his kid see a practice, if you were not part of Saban's program, you had no business being around there.

Pissed a lot of entitled people off, and he didn't care about that either. 'Bama had seriously needed a dose of that, and he had no "Bears' boy" history with the program so he just didn't know or care who some of them were.

There's BS aplenty, but he don't tolerate.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, he drained the swamp? :)

Batman likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Must be all that social justice nonsense Clay Travis always talks about....

CFP Title, 'Bachelor': TV Ratings Monday, Jan. 11, 2021.

Scariest part of that game last night was the second half which the Tide treated like it does second halfs in non-conference games against Samford.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In my writing days I never was around Alabama all that much, but I recall covering a conference basketball game in Tuscaloosa, and just before tip-off this whole phalanx of dudes in crimson sportcoats came filing in to take their seats on press row. They didn't work for the program, but they sure knew where their bread was buttered.

11. Neutral Corner

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Number of factors at play, not just the staleness of the matchup. First, the NFL's wild card weekend with six games may have left a good amount of football fans fatigued. I know that was a big factor for me. I was footballed out by Monday. And so many people completely checked out on this season before it started due to COVID. I'd be curious to see the West Coast numbers because I have to imagine they were terrible.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted