1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Divisional Round weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 12, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My understanding was that Edwards-Helaire is on track to play this week, but we will probably hear more about that today or tomorrow. Even if they get Denzel Ward back, the Browns' defense is terrible. I know they got four interceptions Sunday, but those were just awful throws by Roethlisberger. Sitting back in a deep zone all day and hoping the other team screws up isn't going to cut it against the Chiefs. I think the Browns will score enough to make it entertaining, but not enough to win. In the end, I simply trust Mahomes a lot more than I trust Mayfield.

2. outofplace

I think the Ravens match up well with the Bills. They have good enough corners to challenge Diggs and Brown on the outside. They have a front four that can pressure Allen and athletic linebackers that can help to contain him. Then again, all of that theoretically should help them against Mahomes, and he owns them.

I would rather attack the Bills with a strong running game than that secondary. They have safeties who can come up and defend the options and designed runs by Jackson, so the real trick is if he can make Buffalo pay for that with passes down the field. That doesn't mean chucking it 30 times, but he has to do it enough to keep the Bills honest.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The final eight include:

The Cleveland Rams, Cleveland Browns I and Cleveland Browns II.
    Original AAFL franchises the Colts and Ravens, who have both played in Baltimore.
    The Rams, who now have played in Cleveland, Los Angeles (twice) and St. Louis.
    Original AFL franchises the Bills and Chiefs (formerly the Texans).
    Expansion franchises the Saints, Bucs and Browns.
    Original APFA franchise the Packers, who have nine NFL championships from before the Super Bowl existed.

4. outofplace

The Browns really need to get some guys back. Cornerback Robert Jackson, who has been filling in for Denzel Ward, just went on IR with a hamstring injury.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Packers were not one of the original APFA teams. I think they joined in its second year.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Also, are the current Colts the same franchise as the AAFC Colts? I thought that team folded and a new one was created from the remains of the original Dallas Texans.

That stuff all gets murky and confusing.

7. outofplace

You are correct. The AAFC Colts did play in the NFL for one season, 1950, before folding. The league awarded Baltimore an expansion franchise, also named the Colts, in 1953. That is the team that moved to Indianapolis.

Indianapolis Colts Team History | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Minus COVID changes, which could come at any minute, and in waves, the Browns have everybody healthy on offense who isn't out for the year (OBJ). They hung 40+ on the Steelers, whose defense, even depleted, is far better than the Chiefs'. They at least have a chance, though I wouldn't expect them to win, and it should at least be entertaining. As should most of the AFC playoffs, since all four have pretty loaded offenses and underwhelming defenses. Baltimore's D might by the best of the bunch, but statistically the Ravens aren't a juggernaut. The AFC certainly promises to be more fun to watch the next two weekends of the two conferences.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Same could be said of those who have killed Lamar Jackson for losing two games. And for the unspeakable sin of being Black in Trump's America.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Talk show hosts here in Boston, who'll swear and sometimes act like they are woke as they come, unanimously diss Jackson. It's like 1. They don't get they're telling on themselves. 2. Any QB who isn't Brady with the Patriots (not now, the traitor), is a failure by definition. Felger, the champion ass, actually said Mahomes needs to win more Super Bowls to be considered any good.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

the GREATEST FACKIN CITY IN THE GAWDDAMN WUHLD has an inferiority complex

12. outofplace

The Browns' offense is very good. That unit is the reason I kept saying Cleveland had a very good chance to win in Pittsburgh Sunday night. That said, they had a lot of help putting up all of those points. I don't expect the Chiefs to turn the ball over five times the way the Steelers did.

Draft saved Draft deleted