1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My response was somewhere between Mngwa's and Junkie's. Let's face it, what was there that was especially different between what Trebek did and what Jennings did? Not much. Trebek's greatness came as a result of his being a long-time host -- a role that became his identity to many people, so that he became a familiar, known quantity, a comforting presence, as it were.

Jennings obviously can't be or do that yet. So, his hosting of the show was fine, even excellent, especially given that it was his first appearance.

It's the stuff you can't learn/teach that is going to end up being the difference between the two -- the voice (which I, too, found a little too high, and therefore, too much, after a while), the right amount of gravitas, whatever sense of humor/appreciation develops and is shown, etc. Otherwise, it's just the game, the show, that is the star, and the draw.

And I believe Trebek would be fine with people thinking that.

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

You know, 20 years ago, I don't think hosting a game show was on Ken Jennings' life plan...

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

UPChip and Splendid Splinter like this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The problem Ken and the other candidates not named Mike Richards have is the show’s EP has a hundred million dollar reasons to not coach ‘em up.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If he wants to sabotage the show so he gets the gig, that’s dumb. I would think Jeopardy’s audience is more fickle than most shows.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If one of the categories is “Notables Quacks” it will have all been worth it.

Then all the questions are about ducks.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Trebek corrected contestants' French pronunciation.

Tighthead and Splendid Splinter like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted