1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowls/playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why does Alabama waste a scholarship on a punter?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Two hours to play one half of football. No wonder I care less and less. BTW, BTE, my first year on the Pats beat in 1987 I interviewed rookie punter Jeff Feagles, who'd been at the U. He told me he had one punt in the month of October 1986. Went on to play until he was older than Brady. So the Alabama kid has a role model.

Batman and BTExpress like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A middle linebacker on Devonta Smith. JFC

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It didn't look like it was supposed to be man-to-man there. The safety got way out of position.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There's 85 scholarships available. You want to mess around with a walk-on who gets a punt blocked and returned for a touchdown?

Good luck telling boosters/followers that you're willing to risk losing a conference or national title because one of those 85 scholarships couldn't go to a punter.

And don't even start with kickers. Ask Bobby Bowden how having a reliable kicker might have helped Florida State.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Memo to self: Always use blue font when making observations some people will actually take seriously.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

“Actually he gets all three feet in”

[​IMG]

sgreenwell and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You can be snarky, but it's not as easy to tell with you as it is others. Sadly, there are people who really think like that. It's not blue font to them.

They're also the ones wringing their hands and wanting the coach fired when they find out that a blocked punt, followed by a touchdown, turned the game or was the winning score. And obviously, "wide right" is fighting words in Tallahassee.

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I kind of see what you mean here. I pretty much thought he was being sarcastic, but when people show no sense of humor 99.8% of the time, how are we supposed to recognize the other 0.2?

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Soooo did Smith pull a Ronnie Lot?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the last really genuine underdog win over Goliath in the CFCG was Miami over Nebraska. Unless you count Fryar's drop of a wide open TD as part of the fix...

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

These teams are an absolute embarrassment of riches.

Draft saved Draft deleted